Question

ronc80

Beginner
Dec 29, 2018
Ok here go's. Loading my first rounds ever up last night and this morning. First 20 last night were sierra game king 140gr sbt. Started at 42.6 went up 1 gr increments to 45.6. All good. This morning using Barnes 140gr ttsx bt. Data shows 44.2 min to 49.1 max which is a compressed load. I started at 45.5 got to 47.5 it feels like it's compressing the powder. Did one at 48.5 and can't get coal to my 2.800 with die in the same position. It's .0065 over my 2.800. Is this bad? It's really compressing the powder. Should I just stop at the 47.5 or load up all 5 of the 48.5 and see what happens?
All brass Is factory primed fiocchi and powder is ramshot big game.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I didn't add its 7mm08 rem

Where you get the data from. Your brass may have less capacity than the brass they used. 48.1 might be your max.

Yes, Barnes web site confirms your load data for Big Game and 2.800” COAL.

You mentioned Fiochi brass was primed already? My guess would be your case volume might be a little small.

If you have a QL, it would be interesting to see what they think the compression would be. I use about 105% for the max compression I use. I think some go 110%.

I’m a little surprised you can’t seat it deeper. The Barnes have a pretty pointy nose. I’m guessing the bullets nose is getting further up in the seating die than you’d want. You might need seating plug made for VLD ogives.

If you are getting inconsistent seating depths, the compression might be pushing back more than the neck tension you have.

If you stop short of your max load.. nothing wrong with playing it safe.

Next time you load that brass, your volume might be different as the case will be stretched by firing and then it will be sized to your brass. Work in small batches while figuring out what you need to do.

Yes, the crunch of a compressed load might be unsettling at first, but for me it sounds like music now. I crave the crunch... lol.

Can 2.865 fit in your magazine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so

With a compressed load you are going to need to turn down the seating stem down until your desired length. I leave the round up in the press for a bit to help stop any spring back from being compressed.

sako2":33s0mthw said:
Where you get the data from. Your brass may have less capacity than the brass they used. 48.1 might be your max.
Right from barnes
e60333fa1bf4f16191ae9d18e0412735.jpg

mjcmichigan":pzmoemt1 said:
Yes, Barnes web site confirms your load data for Big Game and 2.800” COAL.

You mentioned Fiochi brass was primed already? My guess would be your case volume might be a little small.

If you have a QL, it would be interesting to see what they think the compression would be. I use about 105% for the max compression I use. I think some go 110%.

I’m a little surprised you can’t seat it deeper. The Barnes have a pretty pointy nose. I’m guessing the bullets nose is getting further up in the seating die than you’d want. You might need seating plug made for VLD ogives.

If you are getting inconsistent seating depths, the compression might be pushing back more than the neck tension you have.

If you stop short of your max load.. nothing wrong with playing it safe.

Next time you load that brass, your volume might be different as the case will be stretched by firing and then it will be sized to your brass. Work in small batches while figuring out what you need to do.

Yes, the crunch of a compressed load might be unsettling at first, but for me it sounds like music now. I crave the crunch... lol.

Can 2.865 fit in your magazine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so
Yes they just go in the mag.

RL338":2m27tqok said:
With a compressed load you are going to need to turn down the seating stem down until your desired length. I leave the round up in the press for a bit to help stop any spring back from being compressed.
I wish I would have read your post. I went ahead and finished them off as they were.

Back