Quickload question for 300 Win Mag

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I went to the range today and shot the 300 Win Mag with RL 22 and 180 Accubonds.
Charges was from 73.5 to 75.9 grains. I found two nice groups with .5 MOA and .4 MOA with 74.7 and 75.1 grains and .020 off the lands. Velocity is 3,145 and 3,165. Both groups have same POI and ES is 2 fps with SD of 1 for the 74.7 grain charge and for the 75.1 charge ES was the same at 3,165 fps for two rounds and the third round did not register on the chrono. . I will pick the charge in between , fiddle with seating depths and confirm later at the range.

My question is there is a "weighing factor" on Quickload, you use .5 for typical bottleneck cartridges and .33 for overbore cartridges. Do you use .33 or .5 for the 300 win Mag?
I adjusted the Ba for .33 and .5 and if using the .5 for 75.1 grains, I am right at max pressure. If using .33, I am under max pressure. This is confusing me quite a bit. Are there any Quickload experts on here that can help me with my question? Thanks
RdxRfXE.jpg

If you use .5 and pay attention to the rifle you know you should be ok. There's a lot in there to account for. Freebore etc.
.33 in my mind is for serious overbore. Weatherby, 26 Nosler, a lot of the crazier (read fun :grin: ) wildcats. While the 300 WM is, by definition, overbore; I don't use the 33 setting on most of the 300 mags.
Check the chrono versus your runs and see if a .4 or .45 doesn't fit. If not, calibrate the .5 using the Ba.
Just my opinions though.

Dwh7271":3kcun19b said:
If you use .5 and pay attention to the rifle you know you should be ok. There's a lot in there to account for. Freebore etc.
.33 in my mind is for serious overbore. Weatherby, 26 Nosler, a lot of the crazier (read fun :grin: ) wildcats. While the 300 WM is, by definition, overbore; I don't use the 33 setting on most of the 300 mags.
Check the chrono versus your runs and see if a .4 or .45 doesn't fit. If not, calibrate the .5 using the Ba.
Just my opinions though.

Thanks Dewey, just making sure I am going in the right direction. (y)

Back