RamRod accident

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
Hello Group,
I hope that my accident will warn others to take more precautions than did I.
I hesitate to write this, as no one wants to admit : (1) Age brings on lapses in thought processes. (2) I sometimes make very stupid mistakes. (3) Even after using firearms for many years, I am subject to dangerous mistakes, caused by not concentrating on what I am doing and/or getting excited about a new firearm.
The Florida black powder season began Friday. I had given both of my black powder rifles to my son, who lives far away, so after reading of the new TC Impact, .50 cal, I bought one. Luckily, I think, for me, I purchased the 200 gr. Sabot bullets. I also was using two 50 gr. pellets.
At the range, three rounds grouped well at 50 yards. I moved to the 100 yard position and my first round was just under the deer target's chest and I adjusted up a little. The second round hit high, over the heart area and I re-adjusted. Upon ignition of the third round, I got what may be the greatest feeling of recoil that I have ever experienced. I had left the rod in the bore, atop the 200 gr. Sabot bullet. After recovering and looking down range, I saw a large hole in the wooden baffle barrier, at 50 yards down range, where it had completely broken through a 2x6 edgewise. When the normal cease fire was called, I walked down range and retrieved the mangled rod, which was now shaped like a very badly drawn "S".
I went home and took the rifle down and inspected all thoroughly. The breach plug, to include the threads, looked fine. I found nothing wrong with the rifle and the bore still shown brightly and I could see no bulges, splits or scrapes. Taking the rod to my shop, I pounded it back straight. I returned to the range and fired four more rounds and the groups were just as tight as they had been before the accident.
What I have done to try to avoid this ever happening again : First off, the ram is black and when loading, nearly disappears into the bore when I load the two 50 gr. pellets and the 200 gr. Sabot. I have painted the rod hunter orange, so that maybe if I made the same mistake, I would see the rod at some point before I fire.
I have to take my hat off to TC, as they make a strong rifle.
Steven

Glad you are OK. It could have been a lot worse!

JD338

Glad that everything came out allright (pun intended) and that you are fine. Take comfort that you are not the only one to ever do that! I have not done it myself (yet) but I know that many others have. Most of the time its the second shot at a game animal. I like the orange idea. I have to check the sights on mine here real soon so I will be wareful. :grin:

Thanks for posting and reminding the rest of us to be safe. I'm glad you and your gun are both okay. Your not the first person to do that.

We had the same accident happen to us many years ago. We were all sighting/shooting our muzzleloaders and with my back turned away from my Dad as he shot (I was reloading at the tailgate behind him), the sound report made me jump and spin. As I watched him rock back forward in the chair, his eyes were BIG when he looked back at me! We tried to figure out what happened, cleaned the gun with the range rod and Windex. Nothing abnormal until he reloaded and as he was setting the gun on the bag, noticed his ram rod was missing from the gun and remembered he loaded and marked the rod on that last shot but obviously forgot to take it out He was bruised on that shot. You can bet that every shot we take now, their is a second check on "where is the rod"!

With muzzleloaders, their are a few more steps being done while loading at the range/woods with all the distractions around you, just pay attention to what you are doing. Still to this day I think about that morning each time I'm out shooting muzzleloaders.

You're not the first guy to send a ramrod downrange. It's real easy to get distracted and make a mistake.

Glad it all worked out well.

I am somewhat surprised that we don't make more mistakes like that between reloading, shooting etc... in our chosen sport. There are certainly enough things to concentrate on that it doesn't take much to miss something. Glad all is ok.

Long

Back