Range day 22-250 338 Win Mag 50 BMG

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Finally made it to the range today.

First off was the 22-250 Rem 700 VS thumb hole stock.

Shot the Nosler loaded leadless 22-250's. Average velocity was 4240 fps SD was 21 from my rifle and the factory loads yielded .7" at 100 yards.

I then shot bunch of loads featuring the 40 grain BT and H4895 and Win 748. All were under moa but this load really rocked. This is a 4 shot group and the average speed with 4895 is 3925. A little "slow" for a 40 gr BT but it will do.

1122091008a.jpg

Then came the 338 Win Mag Savage.

My featured loads sported the 200 AccuBond and the 210 Partition.
This is the best group I got today
It is the 200 AB with RL19 at 3040 fps! Group measured .8" at 100 yards, Not too bad,,,,

1122091008b.jpg

I really wanted the 210 Partition to work out but alas my efforts were fruitless. Velocities ranged from 2900 to 3030 fps but every single group featured the notorious 2 in 1 hole and one or two in another hole. This even happened when I let the barrel cool down completely.
I think if I pla with seating depth and switch caps (using Win mag today) it might settle down.

As far as the Bushmaster 50? What a loud mule! Concussion city! Fun though!

I have been looking at the Bushmaster 50 for about a year and a half. What are your thoughts on the construction of the gun. How effective was the brake?
The only thing that has held me back from buying it is the cost of shooting it. I like to shoot alot.

The Muzzle break is very very effective. Felt like an 30-06 if that. But te concussion and noise!!!!!!!!!!! Wow.

That 338 looks like a great shooter. Too bad you couldn't get the Partitions to shoot. The Accubonds just seem to shoot well in about everything I have. If I could get my hands on more of them, they would be about all I would use. Plus, for the price you can't find a better hunting bullet. Scotty

A couple of great shooting rifles. It looks like that they do precisely what you want them to do. The 22-250 certainly rocks. That load pictured is not that slow.

I will be playing with the Partition a little more. Should I switch primers (to 215 match) or play with seating depth? Right now they are 10 thou off the lands.

POP,

I've always found seating depth to effect dramatic changes in a load, whereas primer manipulation is fine-tuning. It certainly looks like you are onto some fine loads. Like I said, your 22-250 load is worth framing.

POP":1ieuoi21 said:
The Muzzle break is very very effective. Felt like an 30-06 if that. But te concussion and noise!!!!!!!!!!! Wow.
I have had guys tell me not to shoot one out of the back of a pick up unless you want to blow the tail lights out. They also said wear ear plugs under the ear muffs and take two Tylenol before you start shooting.
Was it accurate?

With double hearing protection my ears rang! As far as accuracy...we still have not handloaded for it yet, nor does he have a scope on it.

Wow, that thing looks like a monster. Our Barrett is loud as it is, and that looks like a shorty. I think antelope would be in danger from Montana with that! Scotty

The brake looks alot like the one on my AR50. That is a great brake. Now put a Nightforce scopeNXS 5.5X22X56-NPR2 or NPR1 and Badger(or nightforce) rings on it and you will have a great setup.

Good break alright, feels like a 30-06. Just do not be around it when fired.

I know with our Barrett's, you don't want to be anywhere but directly behind the gun with your feet and knees together while firing it off. It puts out alot of juice all around that muzzle brake. It does tame the recoil down to about nothing though. Cool Rifle. Scotty

The same with my AR50 or my Viper. Never stand to the side. Be behind the shooter and low. With my AR50 especially when you shoot it if you hold your head up high you will feel a shock wave hitting the top of your head even as the shooter.
I have Barnes X-bullets in 600gr(no longer made) and 647gr loaded up for hunting. I may get a chance to try them out on a hog pretty soon. They are legal even in our no-lead zone here. When is Nosler going to make a 600gr PAR or bonded bullet....Heck even a BT bullet???? But first bring out a >308 bonded 125-130gr bullet.

Shooting a 50bmg is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Back