Range Day - Mossberg Patriot .30-06

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Got out to the range with new to me Patriot Laminate Marinecote.

165gr BT over 55grs IMR4350

PMaKKY1.jpg

150gr BT over 61.5grs RL19

EFT61fS.jpg

Most gratifying accuracy. Mossburg has been building some interesting rifles in the past several years. Hard to beat an '06 for all-round utility. It'll work for about anything.

Looks like you've got a couple good loads to work with. In my opinion the 150gr load looks like it's a little more accurate. The mossberg rifles aren't as expensive as others on the market but they sure do shoot good. I bought a Patriot Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor last year and it shoots lights out and I have less than $350 in it. This is gonna be my first season with it but do far I'm beyond pleased for what it is.

I just can't get the 180's to shoot well. Have tried the BT and AB over H4350, RL22, W760. Just does not like them. I'm ok with 150-165 though. Just strange. Was going to try some 180 Hornady and see if any better.

Liked the Patriot so much, I bought a MVP as well :)

Pretty amazing what some of these inexpensive rifles will do. Great shooting, nothing wrong with an 06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! Amazing how those "cheap" rifles shoot!

My TC Compass 30-06 did .45" with 165 BT at 2850 or so!

Boomer, you mentioned trying some Hornady bullets. Have you given any thought to the 178gr ELDX? I know that the 143gr ELD-X shoots fantastic in my Creedmoor. As far as powders go there's lots of options in the data. I guess it all depends on what you have available on your bench. I know my father has great luck from IMR4350. If nothing else looking for the best load for the 180gr weight will give you something to do.

6.5_sWv":kb7yqmap said:
Boomer, you mentioned trying some Hornady bullets. Have you given any thought to the 178gr ELDX? I know that the 143gr ELD-X shoots fantastic in my Creedmoor. As far as powders go there's lots of options in the data. I guess it all depends on what you have available on your bench. I know my father has great luck from IMR4350. If nothing else looking for the best load for the 180gr weight will give you something to do.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might have to give them a try. I only have the 180gr BTSP, but will pickup a box of the ELD-X. I have quite a few powders (IMR & H4350, RL22, W760, H4831, RL19)

Try some flat base 180s and IMR or H4350 Pard! Funny how we older gents speak of having a " rough use/or foul weather" rifle, but we protect them in the filed just like our most expensive, ha. The only guys I ever recall who were "really hard on their rifles" were usually guys who drank (usually too much at night), played with the 4 wheelers,etc and didn't "need target accuracy" because they were "no good on targets, but deadly on deer"...yeah, right. :) If you really want to "tweak" that patriot someday, a little glass bedding and a Timney trigger would go a long way! :)

I've had great results with the 180 gr, Hornady and 57.0 gr. of H4350. That same load also shot well with the 180 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunters. Rifle was a Rem. 700 BDL.
Paul B.

Try RL22 with the 180's
Since the 150's shoot best, an AB in that weight might serve to increase penetration if desired....

Back