Range day. Some good, some bad

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I shot the Sauer 202 30-06 again with 180 AB.
H4350 Win brass, Win Lr 180 AB
55.5 gr-1.716"
56.0gr-.832"
56.5gr-2.582"

The 56.0 was the same charge that shot sub 1" last week. I think I am going to call it good with this rifle. I am going to shoot it one more time just to triple check it.

My Ruger 30-06. I had to send it to Ruger this winter for some misfire issues. Now that it is home, the trigger is really heavy. Do you think Ruger would mess with a worked trigger? I tried some 165 PT with H4350
56.6gr-1.287"
57.5gr-1.900"
58.5gr-1.143" (2 in the same hole one out)

I would like the two different 30-06 to shoot different bullets. Where would you go from here? This was the first time shooting the 165 PT. I have been able to get the 180 AB to shoot sub 1"

Today was the first time shooting the 110 AB out of my Ruger 25-06. I used IMR 4350.

47.5gr-.631"
48.5gr-1.305"
49.5gr-1.451"

I am going to try the 47.5 gr again. I would like to get a hotter charge but I will take accuracy first.

Okay the big issue. Dad's Tikka T3 25-06. I have been able to shoot some nice groups and then when I go back and retry them they are BAD. The rifle has a VXII 4-12 and I think this is where the issue is. Every time I get behind the scope, the crosshairs blur out. It does it on 12x through 6x when I am looking at a target 100 yards away. It is a new scope from the factory and has a fine crosshair. I have never had this happen with other scopes before, but I know it is not helping my shooting. Dad's eyes are worse than mine and it really gets blurry for him and fades away. We messed with the focus and the parellex setting but it does not help. I shot a group last week that was under an inch and today it was over 2.5 inches. Any thoughts on what to try or what to do?

Thanks for the help.

Well, it looks like you've found the spot with the Sauer and your Ruger. Both of your accurate loads look real good as well WT. I'd reshoot and see if they repeat. Then, load and bunch and shoot the beans outta them.

Not sure what to tell you with the scope. If the crosshairs won't focus, something is up with that. Leupold will diagnose and correct it if there is a scope problem. Seems like it should shoot well. Are you shooting in real bright sunlight? How reflective are your targets. Sometimes matte finished paper with a simple matte black dot makes the easiest aiming points for me.

Either way, sounds like a decent day on the range.

Yes, Ruger reset your trigger before they sent it back. Sorta standard for the gun companies.

I will contact Leupold. I am using white copy paper with black dots. I have tried different dots/targets but it is always the same. It happens when it is bright and clear or overcast.

Now to get the Ruger 30-06 back in action. I would like to try the 165s after I get the trigger redone. (again)

If you sent a Ruger in with the trigger lightened it will come back factory. I had to send in my SBH and all my aftermarket parts were in a bag in the box and Ruger had installed new factory parts.

Back