Range day with the 9.3x62 today.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
After work today decided to set the sight on my mauser 98 that was just rebored by JES. Load is 59 grains of varget and a 286 grain hornady sp-rp with COL of 3.165”. Average velocity 2410 fps with Es of 14 and Sd of 7. I know I’m the limiting factor of the rifle lol. At 50 yards you can pretty much cut one ragged group, but at 106 yards the XS ghost ring sights are pretty course. First group was 3 shots at 106 yards, then adjusted rear sight down a little and fired 4th round.
41409eee2743674cc01cc18ebcfbbe64.jpg

Next group I adjusted down a tad more. I believe vertical is good, and the horizontal is me getting fatigued from recoil. Since I shot groups after all my chronographing.
583b6d494407fdd6458e6ba1bef95a7c.jpg

Overall pleased with my performance with the rather course ghost ring sights for that distance. This is gonna be my thicket rifle so 100 yards will be a long poke for it. Here are some pics of the rifle.
52ec1e3e832a0943204f0bbe9554ebd0.jpg
2e467fb824563268d40f94e27a9f37a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm impressed. Once you get it broke in it will get better. Plus it looks pretty good.
Was this a Military Mauser that had been rebarreled before you had it bored out?
I was wondering if you had to modify the action to get it to feed well.

truck driver":wd0acmg8 said:
I'm impressed. Once you get it broke in it will get better. Plus it looks pretty good.
Was this a Military Mauser that had been rebarreled before you had it bored out?
I was wondering if you had to modify the action to get it to feed well.
Truck driver I’m not sure. It’s history is pretty vague lol. I can’t find any military markings on the receiver, so I’m assuming it is a commercial action. I’ve alway guessed it was originally an 8x57 but don’t know for sure. My dad bought this rifle from an old cop that brought it down from up north. When he received the rifle it was already barreled in 308. When my dad passed it down to me I had the chamber opened up to 30/06, but the gunsmith did a messy job of it and my brass had a large ring in with a .010” step down. So I decided to finally get it chambered in something I’ve always wanted a 9.3x62. I did have to do quite a bit of work to the feed rails for it to feed reliably. It took me about 8 hours going very slowly in taking of metal. I’m sure someone who really knows a Mauser action could have done it in 10 minutes lol. But I learned how to fix it myself and it feeds perfect now whether you run the bolt slow or fast, just took me longer than some folks haha!

Looking good.
That will be some serious horse power for almost anything up close and personal.
Very nice

JD338

JD338":15u2hm0l said:
Looking good.
That will be some serious horse power for almost anything up close and personal.
Very nice

JD338
Thanks

I forgot to mention that is the 8” shoot n see targets. I just realized that it might look like the 3” ones. Just in case y’all thought that grouping was tighter than it is lol.

It'll still get it done.
It's a terrific old cartridge and the PT is a great bullet for it.
When I shoot mine I just smile.

I have a M43 Spanish Mauser that was built in the 50's for commercial sale and they have very few markings on them and what is there is the Spanish Maltese cross. Though mine is 8mm and still in issue condition. The military sights are so fine they're hard for me to see and I haven't shot it.
One day I'll put it in a sporter stock and change the sights to something more useful.
Yours looks like it still has the old cocking mechanism where it cocks on closing.
Very few still exist in their original form since they were very popular for custom gun builds.
Yours could also have been one that was rebarrled in 308 for the Israeli military. Quite a few of those hit the gun shops threw imports also.

Attachments

• KIMG0273(1).jpeg
    KIMG0273(1).jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 1,473
truck driver":1s72i4kp said:
I have a M43 Spanish Mauser that was built in the 50's for commercial sale and they have very few markings on them and what is there is the Spanish Maltese cross. Though mine is 8mm and still in issue condition. The military sights are so fine they're hard for me to see and I haven't shot it.
One day I'll put it in a sporter stock and change the sights to something more useful.
Yours looks like it still has the old cocking mechanism where it cocks on closing.
Very few still exist in their original form since they were very popular for custom gun builds.
Yours could also have been one that was rebarrled in 308 for the Israeli military. Quite a few of those hit the gun shops threw imports also.
Thanks for the info truck driver, I’ll look back over it and see what markings are on it for sure.

truck driver":1givhc64 said:
Truck driver I took the action out just now to check for markings. Other than the 5 digit serial number, it only has three other markings. One on forward left side of action says 5M6, then on back of safety is a star. And rear of coking piece on left side has an H. Here are the pics, does any of this look familiar? And the Gun cocks on opening instead of closing not sure if that makes a difference on mausers.
2d951acf2921337df96889d98fbd0ca3.jpg
c5055890ed7b54ce8c8746109dabdd15.jpg

Nosler 286gr partitions and ramshot big game are a great combination

Thebear_78":2ldy6yzv said:
Nosler 286gr partitions and ramshot big game are a great combination

That what I kept finding while researching load data. I have found plenty of big game powder, but can’t find 286 partitions, or 250 accubonds anywhere in stock. My plan was 286 Partition with big game, and 250 accubonds with varget. Will be keeping an eye out to see if any comes in though

Cleveland somewhere along the trip the rifle had a speed lock installed which is a good thing.
The markings you showed don't mean much to me except they appear to be inspectors marks.
When the rifle was customized and polished for bluing the original markings where probably polished off. None of this matters since it is now a good hunting rifle.
Shoot it and enjoy it.
If it shoots little groups at 50yds once you learn to hold it steady at 100yds it will or should almost duplicate the groups.
J.E.S. has gotten some bad publicity lately on another forum where a rifle was drilled under size and blew up shooting factory ammo with him not taking responsibility for his work. Very ugly story which I won't repeat here.

Looking good. That looks like a super thumper. That 286 at 2400 isn’t much different than a 375 H&H.

Cleveland48":262jn6tb said:
I forgot to mention that is the 8” shoot n see targets. I just realized that it might look like the 3” ones. Just in case y’all thought that grouping was tighter than it is lol.

It's still MOM accuracy buddy.
MOM is Minute of Moose. :)

JD338

truck driver":35gsbepz said:
Cleveland somewhere along the trip the rifle had a speed lock installed which is a good thing.
The markings you showed don't mean much to me except they appear to be inspectors marks.
When the rifle was customized and polished for bluing the original markings where probably polished off. None of this matters since it is now a good hunting rifle.
Shoot it and enjoy it.
If it shoots little groups at 50yds once you learn to hold it steady at 100yds it will or should almost duplicate the groups.
J.E.S. has gotten some bad publicity lately on another forum where a rifle was drilled under size and blew up shooting factory ammo with him not taking responsibility for his work. Very ugly story which I won't repeat here.
I did search for a lot of reviews before I tried JES. Most were very favorable, but I did find some negative ones also. I think I may have also found the one you are speaking of, not sure though. I decided to roll the dice and try him, hoping he was better than the one who screwed up it’s first rechamber job to 30/06. Luckily Im very pleased with his work on this rifle though.

Back