Range day with the 9.3x62 today.

JD338":25r14gpo said:
Cleveland48":25r14gpo said:
I forgot to mention that is the 8” shoot n see targets. I just realized that it might look like the 3” ones. Just in case y’all thought that grouping was tighter than it is lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's still MOM accuracy buddy.
MOM is Minute of Moose. :)

JD338
Lol thanks JD338. I usually keep my old mans motto for iron sights. Which is “ as long and as far as you can keep all your shots in a pie plate, you can kill any deer you have business shooting at. “ lol

Cleveland48":zj3udmpd said:
Thebear_78":zj3udmpd said:
Nosler 286gr partitions and ramshot big game are a great combination

That what I kept finding while researching load data. I have found plenty of big game powder, but can’t find 286 partitions, or 250 accubonds anywhere in stock. My plan was 286 Partition with big game, and 250 accubonds with varget. Will be keeping an eye out to see if any comes in though

Norma and Woodleigh are good options and seem to be a lot easier to find compared to some of the less popular Nosler bullets like the 9.3's right now. The 270 gr Speer looks to be an interesting bullet as well.

Have been meaning to try the speers Gerry. At $21 per box of 50 that’s hard to beat price wise. I’ve seen where a lot of folks say they are too soft. Which they may be for large game, but I have no doubts that they would make a fine whitetail bullet.

Cleveland48":2r7nswq8 said:
truck driver":2r7nswq8 said:
Cleveland somewhere along the trip the rifle had a speed lock installed which is a good thing.
The markings you showed don't mean much to me except they appear to be inspectors marks.
When the rifle was customized and polished for bluing the original markings where probably polished off. None of this matters since it is now a good hunting rifle.
Shoot it and enjoy it.
If it shoots little groups at 50yds once you learn to hold it steady at 100yds it will or should almost duplicate the groups.
J.E.S. has gotten some bad publicity lately on another forum where a rifle was drilled under size and blew up shooting factory ammo with him not taking responsibility for his work. Very ugly story which I won't repeat here.
I did search for a lot of reviews before I tried JES. Most were very favorable, but I did find some negative ones also. I think I may have also found the one you are speaking of, not sure though. I decided to roll the dice and try him, hoping he was better than the one who screwed up it’s first rechamber job to 30/06. Luckily Im very pleased with his work on this rifle though.

Just to let you know I also have a JES rebore but in 35Whelen/AI. It will shoot but it was a rocky road for awhile till I got it smoothed out and had him lengthen the throat area. I sort of like things done right the first time.

I had jes reborn a savage 99 from 308 to 358. No issues whatsoever. Quick turn around and great work.

As to that 270gr Speer they are indeed way to soft for anything big. They were quite accurate but I was very unimpressed with how they came apart on game. I shot a small meat bull moose in the neck at 15 yards, no exit and couldn’t find any piece of bullet over a few grains, looked like a pan full of gold flecks in the wound. I think they are a better fit for the 9.3x57 where 2k fps is pushing it.

Thebear_78":3ls5pac4 said:
I had jes reborn a savage 99 from 308 to 358. No issues whatsoever. Quick turn around and great work.

As to that 270gr Speer they are indeed way to soft for anything big. They were quite accurate but I was very unimpressed with how they came apart on game. I shot a small meat bull moose in the neck at 15 yards, no exit and couldn’t find any piece of bullet over a few grains, looked like a pan full of gold flecks in the wound. I think they are a better fit for the 9.3x57 where 2k fps is pushing it.

Any info on the lapua mega 285 grain? Grafs has the for I believe $68/100. Seems like I’ve read a lot of positive reviews. That’s barely more than two boxes of 50 hornady spire points. I’m also fond of the round nose profile I’ll admit. I have to say though that lapua mega looks an awful lot like the 285 grain factory load from prvi partisan? It may not be, but they look like twins to me going by photos of the mega. That prvi factory load was pretty mild but very accurate.

Post a picture of your loaded rounds.
We like to see shells and bullets. :)

JD338

76f981023de9fa4febf722b13b415cdd.jpg

Here are the the 286 spire point with varget.

Very cool rounds... pretty sure the Germans fed their families with less power than your Varget load with all sorts of stuff in Africa... I’d bet a couple real big animals got the good news as well :lol:

SJB358":35fl92me said:
Very cool rounds... pretty sure the Germans fed their families with less power than your Varget load with all sorts of stuff in Africa... I’d bet a couple real big animals got the good news as well :lol:

No doubt! Just finished installing a Timney sportsman trigger. The military trigger broke at 6 1/2 lbs. the Timney breaks at 3 lbs on the dot. I never even messed with adjusting it. Was very easy install except for inletting the stock. That took over an hour with the dremel. The trigger fit perfect, but I don’t know if it just cause the stock is an old fajen or what. There was no extra room for anything other than the factory trigger, but I got it fixed that’s all that matters lol.

Back