Range Day With The Rem Mag Brothers

E-tips at the velocities I suspect you are getting will work for about any game you would ever hunt, and some that wouldn't necessarily be on the agenda. The 130 grain E-tip launched from my 270 WSM has put a hurting on a variety of game animals in this province.

Your problem is a fun hobby. The bad thing is running out of supplies. Good to have choices or back up loads. Dan.

Joe my 7 Mag loves R23!! The best velocities I have ever gotten in that rifle and the accuracy is great too!! I have a Tikka with 24 inch barrel and I can get 160 grainers to 3015 fps. I tried a 140 gr TTSX load with 65 gr of RL23 and was getting 3125 fps. I am sure you are pushing the same speed.

RL23 with 160gr Partitions shoots really well in both rifles. BT’s like it also. I have 11lbs of it right now so I’m ok for a while. After I get the load for this one nailed down I’ll be finished with my slow powders for a while. But…………I have a 45-70, and a 308 Win I bought new a couple years ago that haven’t been fired yet. Maybe I’ll get lucky and my existing loads for those rounds will be the ticket.

11 lbs of RL23 should have you set for a while. I bought 1 lb to try out a little while back and I am now half way through that jug. Finding more in these times will be very tough!

ReloadKy":3u9ezknf said:
11 lbs of RL23 should have you set for a while. I bought 1 lb to try out a little while back and I am now half way through that jug. Finding more in these times will be very tough!
Yeah it would be nearly impossible to replace right now. All joking aside, I don’t plan on doing any more load work ups after this. It’s time to start getting ready for hunting season anyway. Checking equipment, backpacks, tree stands, repairing anything broken, replacing anything lost, weekend scouting trips. The trip to the range did help me with supplies in another way. I picked up 152 rounds of Lake City brass, all with this years headstamp. That gives me roughly 250 pieces of fired brass, 600-700 rounds loaded, and 200 pieces of new LC brass.

Dang! That’s some excellent results. Fine shooting, for sure. I can’t see much room for improvement, that ELD load should be a killer!

Dang! That’s some excellent results. Fine shooting, for sure. I can’t see much room for improvement, that ELD load should be a killer!
Thank you, the loads came in nicely without as much work as some have required.

Last edited:
Wow! Two very good loads! I'm particularly impressed with your results from the 175 - that should prove to be a superb long-range load. The combo of bullet weight, high BC and 3,000+ fps muzzle velocity indicates good things will happen hundreds of yards downrange.

You're right about the 139 gr load as well. Should be very good for deer hunting!

Guy
For sure. That’s a game fetcher right there. That big 175 is a nice bullet.

Back