Range Day

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Been off from work since I'm part time casual and only work when they need me gave me a chance to go to the range today to see if I could duplicate the 67gr CFE 200gr AB load that shot so well earlier (plus I got my honey do list done for now :lol: ). I also carried the 35 Whelen along to test some IMR8208XBR with 200gr ABs.
The CFE load came close but I didn't do my part when I pulled the trigger and wasn't holding tight enough. I also wanted to see how it would work out of a clean barrel and found that it wasn't near as good and the velocities were lower than before even with temperatures 20 degrees warmer. I had loaded up 6 rounds to shoot, 3 with a cold clean barrel and 3 with a fouled cold barrel. There's no doubt the 35 AI likes a dirty barrel better than a clean one. I also saw the velocities go up as it fouled. I'm thinking the copper fouling causes the pressure to go up raising the velocities.
I also had 3 loaded with IMR8208 to see if the velocity would repeat and seated the 200gr ABs to the same depth as with CFE to see if they would tighten up and I was rewarded with yes to both. But I still have a vertical string with the 62gr IMR 8208 load only it was tighter this time around and still got 2950fps out of it. Makes me want to tweak this load and was wondering if there are any suggestions for it.
I got a nice load for the 35 Whelen with IMR8208 and a 200gr AB worked up in a 22" barrel that Scotty and Fotis might be interested in. 60grs of IMR8208 produced 2782fps in my 22" Remington Classic and a 3 shot group that I measured at .450"X.742".
Here's some pictures of the loads listed.

Attachments

• KIMG0086.jpeg
    KIMG0086.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 703
  • KIMG0087.jpeg
    KIMG0087.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 703
  • KIMG0088.jpeg
    KIMG0088.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 703
Thanks DrMike, What do you think I can do to bring that 8208 load in tighter? This brass was on the second loading after annealing. I also hold the rifle down in the bags with my hand on the scope to help with muzzle jump.
If I can get that load into a nice clover leaf I'll probably ditch the CFE223 load.

First off, I wouldn't write off the 62 grain charge until I verified that the measured differential between the two loads was accurate. The extra almost 200 fps could be significant and the 0.2 inch difference in measurement a statistical aberration. Playing with seating depths can be your friends in this instance.

To be honest I wasn't feeling my best today and have had a stomach virus the past 3 days and didn't eat before I went to the range and could have pulled the first shot on the CFE223 load of 67grs.
I'm pleased with the 62gr IMR8208 load and it has repeated the velocity and is consistent shot to shot according to the readings I'm getting off the Chrony where the CFE223 is up and down with highs and lows.
I'll load some and seat the bullet .010" deeper and see what happens. I still have room to load a heavier charge with IMR8208 but 2950fps with a 200gr .358 bullet isn't too shabby I think.
I wish I had a 24" barrel on the 35 Whelen so I could compare the 2.

Still good shooting, despite having an off day. I rmade the mistake of going to the range after a bad day at the office. My day didn't get better at the range and I quit early.

BretN -

Sorry to hear you had a bad day at the office. Those seem to be the rule for me rather than the exception, part of the reason my wife and I took a job out in the sticks and are moving next week. Hope things get better for you.

I also cannot seem to shoot as well when I am preoccupied mentally with work or other worries.

Good luck, your next trip to the range will be better no doubt.

Dale

When I was shooting a lot of NRA Bullseye Matches I meet a fellow who was an IBM contractor and worked in China for several years. He would talk about ways of how to develop different levels of concentration. While he was there he visited Tibet and talked with Buddhist Monks where he learned the art of Zinns which is a form of deep concentration and almost trance like. I messed with it some when I was shooting competition and could block or zone out everything but the range commands which I didn't want to and it worked. Over the years I have got away from it do to reason I'm not going to tell but you can control your inner self.
Yesterday I could feel a drumming in my body and this was probably due to the fact that I didn't eat before going to the range and my blood pressure was up due to the virus I had previously.
Besides a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work :lol: and I don't work full time any more :mrgreen:

DrMike":283bb3e1 said:
First off, I wouldn't write off the 62 grain charge until I verified that the measured differential between the two loads was accurate. The extra almost 200 fps could be significant and the 0.2 inch difference in measurement a statistical aberration. Playing with seating depths can be your friends in this instance.

That 8208 load looks great in my book. A 200 at that sorta speed will crush stuff hard. I'd try shortening em just a touch and see what happens.

Thanks Scotty the 8208 does make the 200gr AB step along pretty good with no unexpected velocity spikes and very consistent from shot to shot unlike CFE223 where it can swing from 2830fps to 2870fps. And I couldn't duplicate the velocity with the CFE load like I could with the 8208 load. I got close to the same accuracy but not velocity. All loads were primed with WLR standard primers. When I can find some bench rest primers I'll give them a try.

Back