RCBS summit.

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Anyone try the RCBS summit?

It’s a bench top single stage. Arm on the top and the die moves down to the case....

One advantage is clearance..4.5”, lots of room for big cases and big hands...when I replace my bench, I want drawers under to top to make more room on the bench.

I am a fan of the Redding Big Boss II, especially the spent primer catcher...no more primers on the floor. Looks like the summit works very similarly for catching spent primers.

I’ve seen a couple others that have the arm on top.

Anyone using a summit or a top pull?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good question. I was looking at the Summit online. Not in person yet. I really like my Co-ax but it's a pain with the 2 magnums I have left due to shellholder size & opening height... also when needing to pull bullets. Then 223 shelholder size is different again with the Co-ax. I think newer Co-ax models have a quick change shellholder, but mine says Bonanza on the upright. The Inline Fabrication riser gives good access to the under bench drawers & makes press change easy but it's still less than optimal on the 1/2 size bench. Multiple press storage has also been a problem in the small reloading area in my downsized retirement house. Most efficient use of space has become a definite short term goal. The Summit could be a good candidate, but I feel a new rifle coming before buying a new press.

I ordered one. Will give first impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been using a COAX for about 15 years now I think. Still my favorite press. The Summit looks like a dandy though.

That was the other press I was looking at. I probably should have asked sooner in the investigation process.

I was pretty locked on the RCBS M1000 balance scale. I had one and it was so fast and accurate! I chuckled when one scale reviewer thought 6 Mississippi was fast. I’m not sure you could get to 2 Mississippi on the M1000. If drop my powder, confirm it on the balance scale. Boom, fast and accurate.

Nice to know what you want vs guessing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't comment on the Summit Press as I use a slightly customized Lee Classic Cast for most of my reloading, but can fully agree with mjcmichigan's comments about the RCBS M1000. I have several digital scales and the M1000 is just as quick and accurate and never needs recalibration during a reloading session. I also use it to check throws on my RCBS Chargemaster Lite and Redding 3BR powder measure. The M1000 replaced my old RCBS 1010 which I do not miss.

Back