Re-sizing question-photo

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Resizing some cases a while back, and decided to experiment. The attached photo shows a sharpie marked case that I ran into the sizing die, adjusting down in 1/4 turns until I got thr result you see. Looks to me Like this would be "Neck sized". You can see the sharpie removed on the neck and the upper 1/2 of the case. The marker remains apparently un-touched on the shoulder. Seems to chamber fine, Overall length from the datum line to base as measured w/ a Hornady Headspace comparator did not change. Does this sound correct? Thanks for the thoughts. CL

Attachments

• sized case 8.24.jpg
    sized case 8.24.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Resizing some cases a while back, and decided to experiment. The attached photo shows a sharpie marked case that I ran into the sizing die, adjusting down in 1/4 turns until I got thr result you see. Looks to me Like this would be "Neck sized". You can see the sharpie removed on the neck and the upper 1/2 of the case. The marker remains apparently un-touched on the shoulder. Seems to chamber fine, Overall length from the datum line to base as measured w/ a Hornady Headspace comparator did not change. Does this sound correct? Thanks for the thoughts. CL
No. Because as the case goes into the die it squeezes the case that causes friction removing the sharpie. It remains on the shoulder because it pushes shoulder down at the end of the stroke. Turn your die down a little at a time until it pushes the shoulder back .002 shorter than your fired case.

I have used a FL sizing die to neck size with but started with it just barely sizing the neck and kept screwing the die into the press lowering it until the case was sized to the bottom of the neck. Works, maybe not as well as a neck sizing only die does, but doable. Eventually you will need to full length size the cases. How many times will depend on your chamber. Personally, I've pretty much quit neck sizing and just full-length size. For hunting rifles, it offers smoother chambering consistently. Dan.

I have used a FL sizing die to neck size with but started with it just barely sizing the neck and kept screwing the die into the press lowering it until the case was sized to the bottom of the neck. Works, maybe not as well as a neck sizing only die does, but doable. Eventually you will need to full length size the cases. How many times will depend on your chamber. Personally, I've pretty much quit neck sizing and just full-length size. For hunting rifles, it offers smoother chambering consistently. Dan.
Same here. I haven’t ever messed with just neck sizing, while preferring to always bump the shoulder a bit to keep them feeling the same each time.

Same here, stopped neck sizing long ago when I felt inconsistent chambering where it galls the lugs heavily and at times it don't. Full size is the best way to go. I like to size 80% of the necks with my full size bushing dies. As for non bushing dies as a starter to full size new brass or to neck turn, I size to the shoulder.

No. Because as the case goes into the die it squeezes the case that causes friction removing the sharpie. It remains on the shoulder because it pushes shoulder down at the end of the stroke. Turn your die down a little at a time until it pushes the shoulder back .002 shorter than your fired case.
I assumed this was what was happening. Cases chamber fine. will run with it. CL

Since you can see that the full length of the neck isn’t being sized, I would be really surprised if the shoulder was anywhere close to being “bumped”. I am not surprised that they chamber just fine as I have many firings on cases that have never had the shoulder set back.

I assumed this was what was happening. Cases chamber fine. will run with it. CL
Loaded to lower pressures, you will get several loadings from those cases. Make so you properly lube the case, including the inside of the neck.

JD338

Seems to chamber fine, Overall length from the datum line to base as measured w/ a Hornady Headspace comparator did not change. Does this sound correct?
Yes
If this was 1x brass you’ll find that the brass will expand more on the second firing. At some point the number of firings will require the shoulder to be bumped back.

Back