Re-worked factory ammo.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
This delved into the world of wildcatting I guess you could say as I was venturing into a world unknown, but well worth it in the end I believe. I'm pleased with the results and feel safe about the load.

I got a lot of factory Remington 200 gr CL ammo for 35 Remington, so I could afford to do some experimenting. 35 Rem is spec'd at just 36,000 PSI on account of older rifles, I wont list on here the powder or charge weight I ended up with.

To start off I'm dealing with a newer model Remington 760, so an action that was chambered for a lot of 60-65,000 psi cartridges. Not that I was interested in getting anywhere close to those pressures.

I pulled some bullets on the factory ammo, picked a powder listed by Hodgdon I had on hand, and using some rudimentary math I came up with a target speed if I could get there without pressure issues. Loaded the same length as factory.

Never ran into a problem from what I can tell carefully checking. Got radiused primers, easy extraction, no marks on case heads, primers are still tight on fired cases, etc. Top powder charge sits at the base of the neck.

Hit 2320. That's a game changer in 35 Rem. Puts it at starting speeds for a 358 Winchester with a 200 gr bullet.

Loaded up 4 more at that top charge and averaged 2311 with an ES of 29, still nothing I could see that's an issue.

Adjusted the scope today based off where that load was hitting high and right, and went back with 4 more loaded at that top charge. Averaged the exact same 2311, with an ES of 30. Again, no issues of anything resembling over pressure for either the case or action.

Shoots just as good as it did with the factory load and is 200fps faster. First shot after scope adjustment was high, last 3 together. With the high shot the group was just under 1.5".

I also got a new sling for it and wanted to shoot it to make sure that sling hanging off the barrel band wasn't going to make it shoot way different. Good to go, I'm excited to use this setup. (y)

What a wildcatter you are Shade. Anybody would be pleased with picking up another 200 fps.
I never thought of trying something like that when I had a standard 7x57. Now I have a 7x57 A1, I can't do it. Well done!

Kevin

cha":44c432z5 said:
What a wildcatter you are Shade. Anybody would be pleased with picking up another 200 fps.
I never thought of trying something like that when I had a standard 7x57. Now I have a 7x57 A1, I can't do it. Well done!

Kevin

Thanks, it worked out well. 9 shots total so far at that top charge and I've checked every case carefully including how tight the primers are removing them with a decapping die. In anything else all signs would still indicate a mild load.

I started out a full grain over max listed for that powder as my first test case and went up from there......which would be completely stupid normally, but again in a 760 every other cartridge it was chambered for runs 50,000 cup and the max charge listed for 35 Rem was under 35,000 cup.

According to my figures that grain over max would still be well below starting pressures for any other cartridge in that action. I wasn't going to blow the gun up.

Not a scientific conclusion but using math cross referenced on both the speeds and charge weight, it should be now running just under, or right at, 40,000 cup. A 760 can take care of that while still waking up in the middle of a yawn.

Well done, sir. That’ll put a serious thumping on just about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter24605":vzbw55t3 said:
Well done, sir. That’ll put a serious thumping on just about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, yes sir it should. 100fps doesn't often mean much to me, but a 35 Rem is on the line of struggling with low velocity, so anything helps. 200fps is a major boost IMO.

I only chrono'd 1 factory round in this 760 and it went 2110. My old 141 has a 24" barrel and factory ammo in that chrono's at 2170.

2311 average without any signs of problems is pretty pleasing I must say. So far all loads have been with virgin brass, will see if accuracy is even better with fireformed brass in the future.

This is very interesting as I have the same gun as you. Let us know how it performs on deer this fall. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":1w3x83qg said:
This is very interesting as I have the same gun as you. Let us know how it performs on deer this fall. Dan.

Dan, I'm not encouraging anybody to try and hit the same speeds with a 760 as I did, you would have to go with what you're comfortable with. Obviously venturing into unpublished load data requires some careful observations as you continue up in charge weights.

BUT, some logic and common sense can also be applied to know in advance you're not dealing with an immediate bomb by coloring outside the lines of 35 Rem data when using a 760.

If you or I took our 35 Rem 760's to any smith to have them turned into a 358 Winchester, they would simply re-chamber them to a 358 Win and hand them back. They would then be loaded accordingly accordingly at 358 Win pressures. Same rifle with the same bore, different chamber dimensions.

I'm using Remington brass obviously. I've found Rem brass to be pretty tough in extensive use with both 30-06 and 6MM. If anybody were to use Hornady or Federal brass, they might run into issues sooner. In my opinion both of those can tend to be a little soft.

ShadeTree":1aar3o0u said:
wvbuckbuster":1aar3o0u said:

Dan, I'm not encouraging anybody to try and hit the same speeds with a 760 as I did, you would have to go with what you're comfortable with. Obviously venturing into unpublished load data requires some careful observations as you continue up in charge weights.

BUT, some logic and common sense can also be applied to know in advance you're not dealing with an immediate bomb by coloring outside the lines of 35 Rem data when using a 760.

If you or I took our 35 Rem 760's to any smith to have them turned into a 358 Winchester, they would simply re-chamber them to a 358 Win and hand them back. They would then be loaded accordingly accordingly at 358 Win pressures. Same rifle with the same bore, different chamber dimensions.

I'm using Remington brass obviously. I've found Rem brass to be pretty tough in extensive use with both 30-06 and 6MM. If anybody were to use Hornady or Federal brass, they might run into issues sooner. In my opinion both of those can tend to be a little soft.
Shade I totally agree with everything you stated. Have taken mine up some. Always have felt the 35 was underloaded somewhat for strong actions as a 760. I'm sure you will enjoy yours as I do mine. Dan.

Back