Rebarrel A Vanguard to 26Nosler

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
OK you enablers here's your chance to convince to rebarrel my Weatherby Vanguard chambered in 300Wby to the new 26Nosler. What will I gain and loose?

Pro:
Less recoil
Flatter shooting
Be the cool kid with a new cartridge

Con:
Less barrel life
Factory ammo and brass not as easy to find and more expensive

I had the same thought. Contemplating rebarreling a SS Win 70 (300 Win Mag) to 26 Nosler. I've looked over the SAAMI drawings and it looks like a straight barrel swap. Pac-Nor already lists the 26 Nosler on their site.

Idahotrophyhunter":39i58pos said:
FYI vangaurds threading are cut to metric measurements and a little harder to rebarrel.
I know they have metric threads and is one of the main reasons they are not popular for custom actions which is a shame.

gerry":1m8j92sl said:
Pro:
Less recoil
Flatter shooting
Be the cool kid with a new cartridge

Con:
Less barrel life
Factory ammo and brass not as easy to find and more expensive

EH ? not much flatter shooting - a 300 WBee with a 150 gr AccuBond is a pretty flat shooter it self and recoil not bad at all and no mod to the action to fit the Fatter 26 nosler to function through it ! :) JMO RJ

I think it's a great idea. Lighter recoil, cases won't be anymore expensive than Wby cases, sleek little pills which should turn deer inside out.. I can't imagine you'll have any issues with feeding. If it feeds the 300 fine, it's unlikely the 26 will be problematic. Besides, you have a 35 Whelen coming, so the lighter ended 26 Nosler would be a fun long gun for long range practice, deer, coyotes or anything else you'd wanna hunt.

Back