Rebarreling a 221 Fire Ball

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
Just sent my 700LM 221 Rem to PAC-NOR to get a new super match barrel put on it. Standard SAAMI chamber, three groove 1:14, 24" factory contour in blue. This was a used gun I bought that never did better than about 1.25" with any load. Looks great on the outside. I could never just neck size brass for this gun had to body bump every time even on starting loads.

Any way hope to have it back around May thou the pillar bedding and free floating might extend that time frame. Just picked up 300 Lapua brass for it nice they make 221 rem brass. Now I need about 200 more 45gr spire points and 40gr HP's. And then its really a new gun and I will have to revisit which loads it will like.

Nice. That's a cool varmint round right there. Should be excellent for coyotes where big boomers would be frowned upon.

Let us know how you like Pac-Nor's work! I'm interested in having them rebarrel my Rem 700 when the time comes. I can't say I've ever seen a bad remark about their work, but I'd still be interested in what you think! 8)

I will let you guys know how it turns out. I had one custum 358win built by Shilen and was very happy with there work. I may have gone with them again but they where not taking in rifes to rebuild for about 18 mounts so thats why I looked else where.

This is going to look like the same factory rifle just accuritized. I have a 22 hornet and a 223rem that with the right hand loads are SMOA at 100 yards. I realy like the 221 Fire ball and hope it will turn out to be a tight shooting gun too. With just 17-ish grains of powder its a low cost performer. I have pretty much settled on the 45 hornet spire point for yotes but any 40gr tipped or HP really flatens out the 221 out to 200 yards or so. That would be my choice for any thing else fox P-dogs ground hogs.

Of course this could lead to a scope up grade like a VX3 4.5-14 LR and a then its VX2 4-12 AO goes to the hornet and its VX2 3-9 EFR goes to the 77/22LR.

Back