Reblueing and glass bedding

AK7AN

Beginner
Oct 30, 2015
I have a very nice sporterized Model 91 mauser in 7.65. It amazes me at the way it shoots 150 gr Hornady interlocks... It is really in need of some reblueing and was looking for some recommendations for this as a DIY project.. I would like it to end up with a nice dark finish.. Also would love to glass bed the action but have never done that either. Suggestions, pointers, and advice will all be appreciated..
The scope rings could use a little tweaking to true them up a bit too..

If I decide to tackle this I will gladly do a before, during, and after photo set..

Thanks to all
Ed

I've never attempted rust bluing, but there are kits available for doing it at home. It has been said that the rust blue process produces some of the most beautiful finishes available. But, it has also been said that reblue results are highly dependent upon the prep work, and especially polishing.

Memories! Hope it helps and thanks for thinking of my project. :). Everything is still holding together and looking good so far.

Can't help with the blueing, but I took on my first bedding project last winter. I bought the Brownells accraglass kit. The directions are detailed, and following them will get you where you need to be just fine. There are other internet options out there using Jb weld or epoxy, but for the money, the purpose built kit with directions would be the way I'd go. Markedly improved the accuracy in my wife's Savage. I plan to bed my mauser 98 sporter this winter.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas so far..
I have looked at the Birchwood Casey Perma Blue kit and from what I gather the prep is the most important part of the process. I am not sure if that requires a total breakdown of the action and parts as I do not have the tools to do that. I was hoping maybe someone had experience with that product might chime in.
As far as Ceracote goes, I am not familiar with it and I will do some research and see what I can learn. Not sure if it offers that dark satin finish that I am wanting on my Mauser.
I did go over Wyo7200's thread and gleaned a lot of good info and I think I will definitely be ordering an Acraglass kit to bed the action to the stock.. He should be proud of his project as the rifles turned out very nice, something to be proud of for sure.
I will see if I can get some pics posted of my rifle and get started at least on the bedding while I decide what to do about the steel.
Not sure if anyone else has one of these old Mausers but this one has been treated well and whoever did the work to convert it to a sporting rifle did top notch work. I did refinish the stock a few years back and used BC Tru Oil and if really brought out the grain in it..
Thanks again

Ed

Back