Recentering Reticle

Guns & Glass

Beginner
May 27, 2015
:?: Wondering who recenters a scopes reticle, and what procedures they use?

Posted looking for the different types, and the percentages of those different types.

:!: Caution---Counting clicks for many scopes is inaccurate! New & used.

Recently after sending customers back 3X to a famous maker, I was able to have a long drawn out discussion w/a Customer misService/Technical adviser of the methods employed.

Told they use 1 of 2 methods: "Count clicks, and use a mirror". This is the same maker that had been advised of the fallacy many years ago at the SHOT Show of the possible variance in the click methodology.
One of the lead Pinocchio salesman who was in conversation w/a CS/TS man after a short heated conversation told me the mirror method doesn't work, and he walked away. Today he will not even take my calls, or reply to a VM or email.

About 2 years ago, a famous gun writer wrote magazine article on scope adjusting, and recentering. He hammered the mirror technique, and once again showed his ignorance.

It's still used in their Ops manuals, and web site. :lol:

I have factory cutaway samples, and disassembled scopes by different makers, used fro demonstrations, and it is sooooo easy to show where the; design intent, quantity of parts, quality of parts, type of parts, quality of manufacturing, even the assembly often results in extreme stack up creating optical problems you don't see.

In some scopes it's even possible to run mechanical tests by just turning the magnification ring, W&E dials/turrets, Ocular ring, and front or side target focus dials.

Friend's 7th trip with his wife to Africa for another Black Death, and wife's Lion hunt with Motsomi Tours had a tombstone sight we put on my CZ550 Safari Magnum in 375 H&H....fail 5 days before the trip.

In a panic he called, drove here and I put an uber quality 1-4X on it, we had lunch, and he's on his way. Next morning get another panic call that at 50 yards, he's out of adjustment, and 10" off center!! Grab my range box, mirror, Leupold Zero Point, and spud sighter, another scope and drive the long trip to met him at the range.

Quick check revealed it was my fault---I forgot to recenter the scope for a different rifle. :oops:
Glad to say, wife Ginny took huge male that was the #19 worlds record then. #20 now.

Others have noted the mirror which is quick & easy, V notches in boxes, I use V Blocks (tedious) for super fine reticles like NF CH1, even some target style bore sighters work.

ButT they all work better than click counting.

Not sure exactly what your talking about but.... On the few occasions I've felt a need to recenter a reticle I have turned either windage or elevation till it stops. Then counted the clicks while I turned it the other way till it stops. Then turned it back 1/2 the number of clicks.

I've never had the need to do this . I've read a few different ways of getting it centered . the way Darkhorse described will get the scope set to mechanical center .
to optically center a scope , I've read you can hold a scope up to a mirror and you will see two images of the reticle . you then adjust the turrets to get the two images to become one . I've also read about using "V" blocks , or loose rings . put the scope in them and turn the scope while watching the reticle . adjust the turrets to get the reticle to stay centered .

jimbires":1ec9f7xs said:
I've read you can hold a scope up to a mirror and you will see two images of the reticle . you then adjust the turrets to get the two images to become one.

This

JD338

Darkhorse":3muaetrm said:
Not sure exactly what your talking about but....
Good point...so to better clarify----Times when one would/should; "recenter a scope reticle; buying a used scope, installing any scope on another rifle, installing scope that has had the W&E dials played with, last but not least-running out of adjustment.

What techniques are used???

...a piece of glass on a couple pieces of lathe, on a mirror. Look down thru the scope & match your reticle to the mirror image. Your scope is now "optically centered". You can check your "mechanical center" by running/ counting up/down// left/right, but by starting w/ your scope "optically centered" you remove any cant caused by having your reticle off center when you place it in your rings...

I use the mirror trick as well. It will get you 95% or closer to the exact center.

You can use the trick of putting it in a V cut in a box to get the EXACT optical center but it takes a while. I've stopped doing that, as the mirror trick is good enough.

Guns & Glass":38npbglf said:
Darkhorse":38npbglf said:
Not sure exactly what your talking about but....
Good point...so to better clarify----Times when one would/should; "recenter a scope reticle; buying a used scope, installing any scope on another rifle, installing scope that has had the W&E dials played with, last but not least-running out of adjustment.

What techniques are used???

...this is getting all to common w/ the new tactical/ CDS knobs w/o covers, everybody's got to check the "clicks"... :roll: :evil: :mrgreen:

Back