Red dot scopes

.280 Remington":1fngmlss said:
I think you guys have convinced me to go ahead with the EOtech. Now gotta get a rail.

Get the XS Mike. It is an easy install and is very nice for other mounting options when/if you ever get a scope.

I was caught out in the open mentally about the new Leupold 1-4 Boar VX-R (or similar). The engineer residing in me reacted and started me thinking that this may be a practical answer for brush hunting Roosevelt elk in the Olympic Mountains of Washington's rain forest?

This hunting often dictates shooting at ranges of feet, not yards. Presently, I still can not sort the wheat from the chaff in this decision and will have to actually go put my hands on a couple of these scopes before deciding but it is intriguing to consider whether this scope use plan is workable in practice or not?

I assume you are talking about this one Charlie?

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting ... 20mm-30mm/

Looks pretty interesting should fit the bill in hunting the coastal jungle for elk like you mentioned. I would find this one or maybe the 2-7 illuminated the most practical for my needs which are very similar to yours by the sounds of it..

Gerry, yeah, that is the scope. I have this little Sako 85, .338 Federal that is pretty short and light with a 22 inch barrel and short action. It would make this job easy perhaps with a scope similar to that? Just kind of thinking out loud since DrMike killed his moose so dead with a 200 gr, .338 Federal. I use the 210 gr Nosler PT myself.

The rifle will work well to knock down big animals, Charlie; and I imagine that scope would work very well in the thick stuff of the Olympic Peninsula.

Oldtrader3":2pxtrigd said:
Gerry, yeah, that is the scope. I have this little Sako 85, .338 Federal that is pretty short and light with a 22 inch barrel and short action. It would make this job easy perhaps with a scope similar to that? Just kind of thinking out loud since DrMike killed his moose so dead with a 200 gr, .338 Federal. I use the 210 gr Nosler PT myself.

It would be pretty tough to beat the 210 PT bullet in your 338 Federal, it should expand at lower velocities than the E Tip too. The only thing I would wonder is how the the 1.25-4x20 would do in low light situations compared to the 2-7x33 since it has a smaller objective lens.

.280 Rem,

Good choice. I'd personally put and EOTech on anything to be used for 200 Meters and in. Just be careful because you can wreck an EOTech with a lot of rapid shooting with heavier caliber rifles. If the reticle goes out make sure the springs that hold the batteries haven't come loose. The EOTech is good but the warranty is only good for a year.

-Joe

DrMike":24d1amxy said:
The rifle will work well to knock down big animals, Charlie; and I imagine that scope would work very well in the thick stuff of the Olympic Peninsula.

DrMike, that would definitely be an obvious, "Theater of Operations", for that particular rifle setup. Of course as you are aware, that scenario for Roosevelt elk also extends to black bears locally. I am going to have to drive down to the gun store (Kesselring) and think this scenario through a little more with that scope in my grubby fingers? That setup of the Sako 85 might end up as being a special purpose rifle for that rifle application and scope.

Sorry for the delay responding but I am still a little slow on the pickup.

Ah, yes, Kesselring. I spent many pleasant hours in that store, until Mr. Clinton made it almost impossible to buy stuff in the USA. It is still a delight when my travels take me near Alger.

Kesselring is the only full stocking, optics dealer in the area. Yeager's is a hit and miss with no real optics expertise. If I keep going as I am, I will get there in there next couple weeks and run that scope scenario for my febrile brain.

Back