Redding VLD Micro Seating Stem

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I need some info so I can make a conservative decision.
Will the VLD stem work with all bullets in the same caliber ( AccuBonds, Partitions, round nose, Sierra GKs and so on)?
I only want to buy one stem and want one that will work for all bullet designs.

truck driver":2wgcwmaa said:
I need some info so I can make a conservative decision.
Will the VLD stem work with all bullets in the same caliber ( AccuBonds, Partitions, round nose, Sierra GKs and so on)?
I only want to buy one stem and want one that will work for all bullet designs.

No idea but it’d be interesting to see your results TD. I’d guess it’d be fine but there’s never a guarantee.

I think you might run into issues with blunter bullets. They are great to stop VLD style bullets being crimped by seater stem. I use them in a couple cartridges where I mostly use high BC bullets like my 22 creedmoor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'm being cheap here and saw that the Redding VLD stem was cheaper then the standard design micro stem for the cartridge I intend to use it for.
Just trying to save a buck and the funny thing is I don't use the old style round nose bullets except for fire forming cases since they are cheap.

Maybe watch a few vids on how to smooth out your current seating stem with JBs.

joelkdouglas":1pltbt5t said:
I have a Redding VLD stem and it works well for any bullet I load.
Thanks Joe, I'll probably never load VLDs but I can get the micro stem for less money and I'm always looking to save a buck.

I have a set of hornady dies with just the standard seating stem . when seating the regular AccuBond bullets , the bullet will get stuck in the seater stem . I'll seat a bullet , when I lower the case there is no bullet , it's stuck up in the die . doesn't happen every time , but it happens often enough I don't use those dies .

jimbires":49pyih6g said:
I have a set of hornady dies with just the standard seating stem . when seating the regular AccuBond bullets , the bullet will get stuck in the seater stem . I'll seat a bullet , when I lower the case there is no bullet , it's stuck up in the die . doesn't happen every time , but it happens often enough I don't use those dies .

That is one reason I don't like Hornady rifle dies. Their pistol stuff is good, but I have never fought as much as I have with Hornady.

joelkdouglas":k8owffwt said:
I have a Redding VLD stem and it works well for any bullet I load.

This. I change out my stem on each Redding die to avoid problems. The VLD stem works well with all the bullets I've tried so far.

Back