Redesigned turkey call

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Tinkering with a design that’s more “glove friendly” I cut it with a wider finger groove and rounded the angles. It’s easier to hold in a gloved hand, but cosmetically I think the old style is prettier. Guess it depends on if you want a woods call or a collectible.
EBC272E9-4073-4ADE-8618-B27B2EE84422.jpeg

Attachments

• 0C9759C3-A83C-4E03-B9B9-50F86943DBE3.jpeg
    0C9759C3-A83C-4E03-B9B9-50F86943DBE3.jpeg
    879.2 KB · Views: 9
Since I don't hunt turkey (saw some once way up here in the north, but they were escaped from a farm I suspect), the collectibles are more appealing to me. However, I can recognise the utility of that call.

Since I don't hunt turkey (saw some once way up here in the north, but they were escaped from a farm I suspect), the collectibles are more appealing to me. However, I can recognise the utility of that call.
What is with turkeys and geese, they can’t seem to wait to escape your neck of the woods? 😂😂

Right! The geese know where it is warmer and head there each winter (just like my wife:rolleyes:). Turkeys can't tolerate the cold winters. They are found in the southeast tier of the province right along the US border. I believe they are illegal immigrants. Hmmmm? Wonder if those are Mexican turkeys?:unsure:

Right! The geese know where it is warmer and head there each winter (just like my wife:rolleyes:). Turkeys can't tolerate the cold winters. They are found in the southeast tier of the province right along the US border. I believe they are illegal immigrants. Hmmmm? Wonder if those are Mexican turkeys?:unsure:
You bring up a bucket list item of mine. Going to the Yucatán and hunt ocellated turkey…they are a handsome bird! Wonder if they’d understand my calls 🤔

Attachments

• B3B91B8A-BA10-4BF6-AC47-39AEF5BBC687.jpeg
    B3B91B8A-BA10-4BF6-AC47-39AEF5BBC687.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 9
I suppose these turkeys in southern BC could have had a bus ticket from NYC allowing them to escape Bidenomics. So, apparently, Canadians can shoot interlopers sneaking across the border. And, the ocellated turkeys are a very attractive bird.:whistle:

Another good-looking call that is made for function. If it sounds as good as the one, I got, and you made Landon I'm sure it will lure the gobblers into their death. Dan.

Reminds me of a time hunting on public land adjacent to a cattle farm. Had a good sized heifer amble through a gap in the fence separating the two and walk in front of me at a range of maybe five yards (I was just sitting back against a tree, using a bush as a blind). Presented a nice broadside shot, too. :)

*EDIT* Oh, yeah, the call. I think I've said it before, but if not, I will say it now. Those are equal parts function and art. You have a gift.

Reminds me of a time hunting on public land adjacent to a cattle farm. Had a good sized heifer amble through a gap in the fence separating the two and walk in front of me at a range of maybe five yards (I was just sitting back against a tree, using a bush as a blind). Presented a nice broadside shot, too. :)

*EDIT* Oh, yeah, the call. I think I've said it before, but if not, I will say it now. Those are equal parts function and art. You have a gift.
So, can we take it that your venison weighed out at around 650 pounds that year? :unsure:

Back