Redfield scope

To my knowledge, the Shilba line of rifle scopes is not marketed in Canada, nor am I aware of it being marketed in the United States. I am told it is build from Japanese components. It is reported to be a decent scope, though certainly not high end optics. Unfortunately, I have never handled one, so I'm unable to give you my own evaluation.

Certainly puts the viewer has been made ​​in Japan, although I have read that actually are Chinese, which does not say much in his favor. I leave a photograph of junk.

dsc03259eu.jpg

dsc03260jy.jpg

dsc03264c.jpg

dsc03263v.jpg

I was informed they were assembled in Argentina, though I cannot confirm that. To be certain, there are people who state the scopes are made in China. In general, Japanese glass is of a high quality, though assembly may or may not match the quality of the components.

Heck, it's gotta be good, it says "Master Hunter" right on it!

Kidding aside, I can't wait to find out how long it survives on a .338. My buddy's .300 Winchester ate three 3-9x Bushnells before he bit the bullet and bought a Leupold.

And so bad, I wear glasses and the joke could cost me a disappointment :cry: . Knock on wood that does not happen :mrgreen: .

Oscar.

I have two of the Redfield Revolution AccuRange 3-9x40 scopes and I really like them (got one, then liked it enough to get another---duh). For what I'm shooting in my 257 Wby and 300 Wby, the hold-over points with the 200yd zero are dead on at 300yds. In a way, that makes them zeroed for 300yds.
I was not accustomed to shooting at 9x, but that is what you need to use for the reticle to me the most effective. The AccuRange reticle was designed to be used at 9x. I tested it at 7x, 8x, and 9x and the 9 setting gave me the best groupings. Of course you can still leave it at 4x or 8x or whatever floats your boat and do the holdover or clicks on the adjustment knobs if you want to. That's up to you. I like the "clicks" on the scope adjustments and not the tension screws like the old VX-Is had. Both my scopes hold their settings. Period.
Spend more $$ if you want to, but for me and the longer-ranging stuff where I live, I'm really satisfied.

Redfield Revolution's have been on my 257 Wby and 300 Wby mags for going on two years. Both of them hold a setting and don't lose so much as a click. We know how some clothes get smaller in the closet and some scope reticles seem to "move around" in the gun cabinet. The Revolution's are not that kind of scope. Shooting max loads hasn't done squat to mess with these suckers. They're worth EVERY dollar. That's probably why I got another Redfield for my newest rifle. Stay tuned for the review of the Revenge scope.

Just curious, Horsethief, how many rounds of .300 Bee has the new Redfield held up to? My .340 Bee tends to break cheaper scopes and/or lose adjustment after about 200-300 rounds.

The Redfield scope has probably had 75-100 rounds from the 300 Wby and the one on the 257 Wby has had at least 60 rounds. Neither have lost their ability to hold a setting. Almost every load I've put through the rifles has been near max charge. A tech rep at Leupold told me the scope was designed to take the recoil level of a 375 H&H. Neither rifle has a muzzlebrake. I wonder if a brake puts more stress on a scope than it was designed to take? Do you have any ideas on that topic?

The brake by venting supersonic (Mach 4) gas and ejecta at right angles to the bore, creates a secondary harmonic in the barrel at whatever vector angles the brake vents are pointed in with the push back recoil being deflected sideways and even forward. Scope breakage is higher with a brake in a heavy recoil rifle supposedly. However, forward inertia of the scope and interior components should be reduced with a brake. I have not seen any meaningful statistics on scope failure with brakes which makes it hearsay.

Back