Refinish opinion.

Thanks, CL! It was a special project for an old friend battling cancer. I took a lot of time with it, and enjoyed every minute. Did the checkering and the pattern came out just the way he wanted. I did do another for my daughter, got some pictures somewhere. I guess I wanted to make my point that they can be made to look good and still retain some dings, but get rid of flaky worn out finish.
EE2

Waterlox is my go too now.

I goes on very thin and smooths out nicely. If the sheen is too much, just lightly hit it with a Magic Eraser. Works like a charm and so much easier than steel wool.

pre6422hornet":2drid5j1 said:
Waterlox is my go too now.

I goes on very thin and smooths out nicely. If the sheen is too much, just lightly hit it with a Magic Eraser. Works like a charm and so much easier than steel wool.

Waterlox is what I ended up going with. More expensive than some other options but they've been around since 1910 so they should know what they're doing. The stock is on its second wet sanding coat, sometime next week I hope to finish it.

Gosh it looks pretty darn good already, I think I would go for the other option someone mentioned here a few days ago?
On long cold winters nite your time might be more well spent , hitting the sauna with the scantily dressed Lady's, and an adult beverage ??? :wink:
But what the heck we all ready know your gonna strip it ! I will caution you about attempting to convert that
pressed in Checkering into CUT Checkering on your first project................. I would not recommend that.
But your the boss applesauce!
And like our guides always say " letter rip potatoe chip".
E

Here is my .338 in one of my stocks on the left finished with Waterlox and a Magic eraser. Winchester factory stock/finish on the right. Cant wait to see your finished refinish!

T0gfnDs.jpg

Thanks David and Dr. Mike, you guys are too kind. I just finished setting up the shop at the new house so hopefully you all will be seeing some more walnut finessing in the near future from me.

Back