Reload to sarve money?

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
In the 1950s my uncle's co-worker was reloading 220 Swift cartridges for us, at the rate of fourteen cents a round. At that time, I was working part-time at a grocery store for seventy five cents and hour. Fourteen cents a round seemed high, but I do not recall what factory ammo cost back then. Today, I have no idea what one round of the various cartridges that I reload is costing me. I simply believe that my hand loaded rounds are better then what I could buy in factory stuff.
For what reasons do you reload?

Back when I was in high school, reloading was to save money. I also made enough money to pay for my habit by reloading for a few buddies and a couple of teachers. Times have change so I wouldn't recomend taking loaded ammo to school........
Now I reload for precission and performance.

JD338

I've been reloading for about 25years and at first did it for the savings. I still do it partially for that reason considering a box of .338 ultramags will empty your wallet but at this point in time I honestly feel I can put out a better product than the factory. With the reloading equipment that is available and the fact that you can check each round there is no doubt in my mind that better ammo can be had by handloading

A buddy of mine got into bow hunting all of a sudden. He proclaimed that he will no longer reload for his 338 WM since he would not shoot it all that much. Well he bought some Remington stuff and the 250 gr Core locts shot under 2" at 200 yards. He was happy as a lark. Well when these ran out he went out and bought another box ($30 OR SO) and these shot 4" plus at 200 yards. Further investigation on his part revealed that remington had changed the recipe!

Well he is back to reloading now. :lol:

I got into reloading for the money thing at first too, right about as i got into my senior year of highschool back in 01. Then when my buddies saw how much we could shoot for the lesser money, they had me load for them as well. And now, just like rem-25/06 i load my own because they just perform better.

I've been at it for about 3 years now. Started because I wanted something to do in the winters and because my 2 boys and I were going out west for antelope ie. . . longer shots ie.. . needed more practice. I prefer to shoot better bullets which would cost me (depending on caliber)over 20.00 a box. So by now I have more than paid for my reloading equipment. I also think that I get better accuracy from my loads than what I can get thru the factory. I read some writers would disagree with that, but I have yet to see it proven true in my shooting or those who shoot with me.

Long

longwinters":2ikhk79s said:
I also think that I get better accuracy from my loads than what I can get thru the factory. I read some writers would disagree with that, but I have yet to see it proven true in my shooting or those who shoot with me.

Long

Long,

The writers that would disagree are the ones that go hunting on Brand X sponsered hunts.

JD338

I got back into hand loading when I bought my Encore and was having mis-fire problems with it in my 308 barrel. Turns out it was a head space issue. After having T/C replace the barrel and not getting one any better, I figured getting back into hand loading would be cheaper and more productive than replacing the barrel with a custom. Now that I had the press and most of the other stuff, I figured I might as well load for my other calibers, too. Now I'm loading for 243 Encore (15"),308 Encore (15"),7mm-08 Encore (15"), 7mm-08 rifle, 308 rifle, 270, 270 WSM, 7mm mag, 30-06, 300 Win Mag. And in my spare time....... :) My basement now looks like a sporting goods store.

Blaine

Unless things just work out where factory ammo fits your chamber at just the right thousandths of an inch off the lands, there is no way that factory ammo will consistantly perform as will your own hand loads, provided you know what you are doing. Add to that the fact that you may want two or three loads to take on one hunting trip and each load is customized for a purpose. For instance, I used to only take a .270Win rifle on a muley/pronghorn hunt, but prairie dog hunting was thrown in. I custom loaded for the deer and had an entirely different load for prairie dogs. Reloading really does expand the pleasure that I get out my hunting.

If you want to reload to pursue a new hobby, or to improve your accuracy that's great. It's a wonderful hobby. However if you're going to reload to save money, forget it. It's not going to happen. As your interest increases your gun purchases will probably do the same. When I started reloading I had 3 rifles. Today I have 21. This all results from an increase in bench shooting that resuted from the reloading itch. It's something to think about. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal, sadly enough my findings mirror yours, there is no saveings in reloading but a very enjoyable hobby. Any saveings in ammo goes out the door in additional ammo spent at the range. Not only do we pick up a new rifle chambered for another new cartridge but just have to have the latest digital scale, ultra precise seater die, ect. The purchases never stop.

I find it hard to believe tha just because you hand load you will keep buying new rifles and new gear. I'm using the same scales, the same, press, and some of the same dies that my father has used seince the 60's. First and for most I'm a hunter, so I buy a rifle to fit my hunting needs. I live on the Columbia River aboyt half way betweem Portland and the coast. WE have real thick brush and shots can be real close so I bought a 92 Rossi in .44mag. Needed a stronger bullet so I hand load for it. Shorty there after I got out of the Air Force I bought a M700 in 30/06, my dad has a load that he made up in the 70's so I tried it in my rife, after WE glass bedded my rifle WE both have 700's that shoot sub 1" groups. I was given a 7mm Mauser to me from my grandfather for my 12 Christmas 18 years ago came with a set of dies you guest it I'm working up a load fo it next week. This spring I bought a M700 Classic in 350 mag, did not need the gun but had the money, and my wife LOVES my '06 so I bought me a gun for me to use, now she has my '06. I bought my wife a .223 NEF for mothers day a few years ago, will be working up a load soon. I also have three sons 8,4 and 10mo. I have enough rifles to go around so when it is time to hunt if they so wish they will have a chance to spend tim with mom dad and grandpa, and grandma out hunting. So i guess that you coud say that I load out of a need for bullet performance, accucrey, and a was to spend time with the family, and have pride in that I spen alot of time and effort into the results that are in my freezer.

black tailed bandit did write: "...and have pride in that I spen alot of time and effort into the results that are in my freezer."

Different strokes...........! I hunt less than I used to, but shoot more. I run into people at the range who've never hunted, but are fine riflemen. If you have the hunting available and inclination to hunt, that is great, but there are others who choose to shoot a lot, but not engage in hunting. That too can be great.
I still stand by the fact that IN GENERAL when riflemen begin to hand load cartridges, the amount of handloading they do will be in direct proportion to a growing collection of rifles of various calibers. That for most, is simply an aspect human nature, to seek knowledge and expand boundaries. Hand loading involves one in the more esoteric details of firearms, which in turn involves one to seek more knowledge and without fail, to acquire interest in a cartridge and/or a rifle that one does not own, which leads to coveting that firearm and focusing on acquiring that firearm, for which one must acquire hand loading gear and so, on into the next round!

Back