Reloading 140 Accubonds for .270 Win

Lonny

Beginner
Jan 13, 2006
Does the newest Nosler reloading book have data on the .270 Win and 140 Accubonds? I just bough some 140 Accubonds and was planning on using H4831SC.

Thanks

Lonny,

I don't think the current book lists loads for the AccuBond specifically. You can use the load data for the Partition of equal weight, but always start low and work your way up to max checking for signs of excess pressure.

:)

Nosler says you can use the same info for similar wt bullets. And that will be a dandy in the 270.

Long

The profile of the AccuBond is identical to the Ballistic Tip. I have done measurements on both in the same bullet weight and they are identical. Just use the data for the Ballistic Tip and you'll be good to go.

Blaine

Lonny please let me know how it turns out for you. Bought a 270 this spring and have been playing with it. Rl 22 did alright, and I think it could do better with more tweaking but I picked up a bottle of the 4831 SC and am hoping to try it this weekend. Also went from WLR to Fed 210M primers and am fooling with seating depth. 140 AB's.

Right now I load 58gr of H-4831sc behind 140gr Accubonds and ballistic tips and CCI 250 primers with excelent results. Today the temprature was close to 100 with high humidity and was getting less than 1" groups at 100yds.

I tried the 140g AB and h4831sc. My rifle is a 700 bdl 270 win w/22" bbl. I think I topped out at 59g and I was using a fed 215 primer. My groups weren't that great 1-1.5" but the rifle doesnt shoot btips well either. I was getting 3050-3075fps. I really wished my rifle woulda shot them better, I guess I can always RL-22 though. H4831sc and RL-22 seem to be the powder for the 270. If one powder doesn't work, the other is almost bound to.

Blaine":2eq690wu said:
The profile of the AccuBond is identical to the Ballistic Tip. I have done measurements on both in the same bullet weight and they are identical.

Blaine

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement. The AccuBond is longer than the same weight Ballistic Tip. This is true no matter which diameter bullets you compare. The reason being the jacket on the AccuBond is heavier than the one on the Ballistic Tip. The jacket being gilding metal, thus a lighter alloy than the lead core, must of necessity be longer to make up the same weight. However, The loading data for the BT works OK with the AccuBond. My 270 shoots the 140AB into about 5/8" Regards, Eagleye.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement. The AccuBond is longer than the same weight Ballistic Tip. This is true no matter which diameter bullets you compare. Eagleye

You are correct about the length of the bullets. What I meant to say was that the shape of the bullet and the relative location of the ogive with respect to the tip is identical. In other words, the OAL will be the same using either of the two bullets. It is true that the AccuBond will stick slightly farther into the case, but not significantly. That is why you can use the same load data. Thank you for correcting my post.

Blaine

Thanks for the help guys.

I started out at 51.0 grains of H4831SC with the 140 Accubonds and worked up to 56.0. At 56.0 things started to look a little "warm" So I backed off to 55.0. My rifle shoots 54.0 grains H4831SC and 150 grain Ballistic Tips very well. My #4 manual shows max load for 140 Bt's as 53.5 of IMR 4831. So, even with H4831SC I'm considerably over the max load listed. I'm hoping to get the 140 Accubonds to shoot equally as well, but need more range time and a chance to mess with the seating depth on the Accubonds.

Eagleye, What is your recipe for the 140 Accubonds? Thanks

I was loading 59 gr of H4831sc with CCI magnum primers in my sons Tikka m695. The load chronied right at 3000 fps, very accurate.

longwinters":jlr46sd5 said:
Why are some of you using magnum primers?

Long

Probably because some shooters have reported improved accuracy in their .270 Win after switching to Magnum primers. Others may hunt in extremely cold weather, and like the added assurance of a magnum primer touching off their load. In my .270WSM, I get better accuracy with the Federal 210 standard primer than the Federal 215 magnum primer, even though most poeple recommend magnum primers in the short mag cartridges. My accuracy with the Winchester Large Magnum primers is very close to what I get with the Federals, and in my rifle, I can use them interchangeably. I still tend to go with the Federal standard primers, probably just my ornery nature.

I have Longwinters load for my new .270 Mtn rifle...Why?...Because when I traded my old .270 I sold him by dies and stuff... :oops:

I had very good results with 140gr bullets out of my Sako and Sauer .270 Wins with RL 22...but... with this Remmy Mtn rifle Long has loaded me 140 gr Accubonds over a heavy dose of H 4831 with 0.30" results so far.

Back