reloading 30-06 with 30-30 170 RN Partition

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
I often have wondered what it would be like using the 30-30 170 Round Nose PT bullet in the 30-06 for Whitetails? Has anyone experimented with this combo or even use it at all in the 30-06??

Don

Should be a great combo for deer, fast expansion and plenty of penetration.
Back in my youth, I loaded a Remington 30-30 150 gr SPCL in a 30-06 and shot a buck with it.
The chest cavity looked like a grenade went off and I found the jacket under the hide on the off side.

JD338

Been thinking the same for my 308 BAR. But I doubt highly it would be any improvement over a 150 spire point Partition.
Sometimes us Reloaders have to fool with stuff even though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense....lol!

Talked to a fellow who was convinced if he loaded 170 gr Remington .30-30 bullets in his .30-06 that he'd get DEEPER penetration...

I tried to explain that his .30-06 was going to push those bullets out hundreds of fps faster than his .30-30 could... And that he wouldn't likely get that deeper penetration he was seeking...

But ya, for deer, should see fast expansion, good results. I don't think they'll do any better than a more "normal" .30-06 type bullet will though. Will be fun to try! :) And, I'll bet they drop the deer just fine.

And of course, this is a Partition you're talking about! (y)

Guy

If you want a quick opening bullet for the 30-06 try some 150gr BTs or SSTs loaded to around 3000 fps.
Billy

I have heard of hunters in PA loading 30-30 bullets in their 30-06's in the old days for faster expansion to reduce the amount of distance the deer ran after being hit. I heard it was very effective on putting deer down fast.

I believe the 150 BT's or SST work just fine to put deer down fast. Through the years I have killed over 20 deer with the BT's in 260 Rem, 7mm-08, and 270 Win. I have loaded BT's for others in 30-06. Other friends swear by the SST's for fast expansion.

I'm very satisfied with the current 180 BT load I'm using now. The thought of messing around with the 170 RN Partition was this, it is a Partition after all and should hold together better than ones that are not. Years ago I shot 180 Hornady RN out of my 06 going
approx. 2500-2600 fps, never clocked the load, but never had a problem killing just deer. Normally it was a 1-shot kill.Shots were 125 yds and under back then too.

Now enter the 170 RN Partition and it has me thinking..............well now, :roll: if I could get 2600-2700 fps what would I have here!!!

With the old Hornady load you could always see the entry hole and I know the Partition opens well initially. 8) and will hold together. I'm not concerned about penetration to much on Whitetail Deer.

I'm giving it some thought though to buy some and tinker with it. Could be fun!

Don

I bought some blems from Shooters Pro Shop for 30-06 but haven't loaded them yet. Really no other reason than I like the old school round nose look of old 30-06 ammo I was shooting when I was a kid. It was only about 20 years ago, but the ammo was my grandpa's and probably old enough to be my dad. There's no practical benefit to shooting them over the 180 spire points, but nostalgia. I'll probably load them up to 2750-2800 from a 22" sporterized 1903A3

DON":idwlqgdu said:
Years ago I shot 180 Hornady RN out of my 06 going
approx. 2500-2600 fps, never clocked the load, but never had a problem killing just deer. Normally it was a 1-shot kill.Shots were 125 yds and under back then too.

Don

That 180 grain Hornady Round Nose was likely intended for .30-06 velocity. I imagine it worked well!

Guy

I would think that if you slowed it down it would be a great bullet for reduced recoil loads in a 30/06 or .308.

I've got a 30-30 150gn (3035 Hornady). I've got it loaded around 2800fps. It's a tad too fast..assuming 1 entrance wound and two exit wounds(1 occurance, other three were dbl lung passthrus) All deer (4) recovered in 40 yards. The 180 Guy mentions is rated to handle any velocity a 30.06 can throw a 180gn. Just too many great bullet choices for 30.06. Try it and update us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that would be a wicked killer Don. Betting it would plant them pretty hard as well.

Scotty,
That's kinda what I was thinking too. I may get a box to try out some loads here soon.

Guy,
That bullet shot very well for me, good tight groups on paper, killed deer very well too.
The bullet held together good as well. My thought is the 170 RN Partition will with stand anything I could put it through.

Don

DON":22zwo9xv said:
Scotty,
That's kinda what I was thinking too. I may get a box to try out some loads here soon.

Guy,
That bullet shot very well for me, good tight groups on paper, killed deer very well too.
The bullet held together good as well. My thought is the 170 RN Partition will with stand anything I could put it through.

Don

I would think so! :) It's a Nosler Partition!

Guy

My uncle lost more than a few big bucks with a 308 shooting 180gr bullets at them when he would hit them took far back running.........
As an experiment he loaded some 150gr FN 30/30 bullets and the results were amazing!
He claimed he had never had such luck with any bullet from his 308, often recovered the bullets from the far side with explosive damage inside. Always seeing 270 type instantaneous kills using
Those bullets, hunted deer with them the rest of his life!

Yes I agree with you about the fast expanding bullets and quick kills, something I experience using the totally awesome NBT. I must say I do recall one particular 8-point buck I killed with the 180 RN Hornady bullet. Shot was real close to 100 yds. It was a broadside shot but hit him far back on the rib cage. It was a Liver shot. He went nearly 100 yds total after the shot. Took out the liver, it was destroyed. I impressed with the bullet performance.

To add to the 308 with 150 FN bullets. My Dad has a custom 8MM. Years ago a guy that did all our reloading back then developed a load using a 32 Special 170 FN bullet, think it was made by Speer?? Anyway it was really blunt. That thing killed deer like the 35 Whelen does. Speer redesigned the bullet, new one didn't perform like the original one did? Dad changed to the Hornady 170 RN but was spoiled with the original bullet performance. That's the reason he bought the 35-Whelen!! :mrgreen: During the 8MM load development testing we took 2.5 Gallon steel gas cans filled with water and caps on. Shot 4 different bullets into the cans. That 170 FN literally blew the can to pieces. All the others blew the tops off and split the cans open.
Shots were fired at 75-yds. It was fun to see the performance of the differing bullet types.

Results on your 308 load with thew 150 FN are not surprising!! 8)

Don

If you like the flat point design, look at a Lapua Mega SP. Not as blunt as the .30-30 or .32 spl bullets, but still a pronounced FP. I think there is something to the blunt point = blunt force trauma idea. My wife still shoots the old 150 Speer "mag tip" from her .308 and I use the Speer Grand Slam in my .280. Both have somewhat flattened metplats and are lights out on venison.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/27306 These might be really interesting also.

Back