reloading 30-06 with 30-30 170 RN Partition

Not really looking for a FN bullet for the 30-06. Just the RN does intrigue me some what from the past experiences years ago. I'm likely to give the 170 RN 30-30 bullet some testing. When I do there will be a full report on results. :wink:

Don

I have a Remington 7400 I used for some years on deer and hogs. My most accurate load in my 7400 in 30/06 was with a Nosler 170gr RN that was traveling 2802fps on average and of the 10 deer and 6 hogs I killed with this round over a three year period, it passed through every one of them and all but one fell where they were hit and that was a large bore hog that went about ten yards and hit the ground. For deer and hogs it is fine in a 30/06. If hunting elk, moose or black bear I would use the 180gr Partition. Took this 7400 out of storage for a step back in time and hopefully in South La. I will use it on a deer hunt starting the 18th January. This will be fun to try it again. Yes, a step back in time. :)

Billyram":1291eksx said:
If you want a quick opening bullet for the 30-06 try some 150gr BTs or SSTs loaded to around 3000 fps.
Billy
This

I wanted a bullet that would open up fast but at least 2/3 of it stay together to let air in one side and blood out the other side and not completely blow up in the animal running out of energy. The bullets you mention Fotis would not do what the 170gr Partition did every time in passing through the game. The 170gr Patition would act like a ballistic tip and an AccuBond at the same time.

I am old and sometimes very slow, how is it that a 170 grain PT, is going to expand much faster than a 180? They are made the same, only one weighs slightly more, Do you really think 10 grains will make a significant difference? When I was hunting deer with the 06 I used 150's for deer,.

Noslers speed recommendations.

Minimum Velocity: 1800 fps
Maximum Velocity: Unlimited

The 170 RN is made for the 3030 and much slower velocities as much as 700fps difference and is a slightly lighter construction and ballistic test have proven this. I have been one who tested it against ballistic jell using a 170gr RN at 2803fps out of a 30/06 and 180gr FP Partition at 2800fps and the results were dramatically different in how quick and drastic the 170gr RN open up compared to the 180 grain. Wound channels on game taken also proves the point that the 170gr was made to open up at slower velocities.

Tjay":1l2fclb4 said:
Noslers speed recommendations.

Minimum Velocity: 1800 fps
Maximum Velocity: Unlimited

The Unlimited statement is true because 2/3 of the bullet weight is the back half of a Partition that is designed not to open up. Also, the RN also allows the front part of the Partition to open quicker than a smaller point on other Partitions.

Hunting little California coastal blacktail at close range in thick bramble and poison oak we loaded 150 grain 30-30 bullets in the 06 downloaded a bit to around 2400 fps. Gentle to shoot and expanded nicely and we didn't have to track into that mess. Spitzer partitions we used on pigs seemed to pencil thru the little deer and we couldn't retrieve them without a dog.

Elkman":1cpbbbjr said:
I am old and sometimes very slow, how is it that a 170 grain PT, is going to expand much faster than a 180? They are made the same, only one weighs slightly more, Do you really think 10 grains will make a significant difference? When I was hunting deer with the 06 I used 150's for deer,.
The 170 Partition is actually a 30/30 bullet made to open at slower speed. When you put it in a 30/06 or .308 then you can speed it up to get it to perform like a ballistic tip but you also have the back of the bullet remain solid because of the Partition. I tried it because I had read about past reloaders doing this with other 30/30 bullets in higher velocity cartridges before these newer fast opening rounds existed. They explained to be careful because the bullet is weaker an could completely explode say a Hornady 30/30 that might just completely come apart but the Partition will only lose its first half of bullet.

As someone above said do not try this on an Elk or bigger game but on deer they work great. I like the round nose it gives a larger opening on entrance so you would get a blood trail if it does not completely pass through.

Back