Reloading Components.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Don't have to tell anybody on here I'm sure, that we seem to be living in some unusual times. I have some questions at the end of this post that maybe some on here could help out with.

Bullets and powder around here seem to be readily available, and if a particular powder or bullet is currently unavailable, they soon are again at pretty much normal prices. Primers on the other hand are concerningly hard to get for the foreseeable future.

I got 2,000 or so large rifle primers and a couple 100 each of small rifle and pistol. Small rifle and pistol I load very little of.

I called around the other day just for the heck of it and large rifle is either non existent, or comes with a caveat, I.E. buy a box of bullets and you're able to buy 1 pack of primers.

Large rifle magnum primers however seem to be in stock at normal prices around here. 1 place had CCI 250 for $3.50 a pack, another had Federal Magnum for $3.85 a pack.

How far out of whack does it throw typical loadings off going to magnum primers if a person had to? Do you have to start all over at starting loads to find something that works?

I've seen very little difference for example going from standard CCI 200 primers to Remington 9 1/2 primers. When it comes to magnum primers is there a noticeable difference in performance, velocities, pressures, between brands?

That is SO strange!
I went to a local shop in Germany, bought 1000 Federal large rifle match for the normal price, paid and went home.
They seem to be easier to get here than at your place...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Moving from standard rifle primers to magnum rifle primers will usually mean a pressure increase as measured in velocity. The increased velocity is significant, but not necessarily problematic. Each has to be tested. I've switched frequently in various WSM cartridges, for instance. The general observation was a measurable increase in velocity up to 100 fps at the muzzle. I simply reduced charge of propellant to step back from potential pressure problems when necessary.

I haven't noticed any issues, or major velocity, accuracy differences when using LR vs LRM primers. Maybe 25fps in most cases. It's really been negligent in that aspect. I'm about to switch everything over to LRM because they are easier to come by, and work just as well in 06 and 308 based cases, as they do in magnums. Small rifle primers are non existent anymore, and there really is no other alternative there...

noslerpartition":6t3anl9r said:
That is SO strange!
I went to a local shop in Germany, bought 1000 Federal large rifle match for the normal price, paid and went home.
They seem to be easier to get here than at your place...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Primers are pretty much gone in the U.S. I've never bought primers online but if you go to any normal online store..Midway, etc, they are out of stock on every brand.

Go to a online auction site like Gunbroker and you will see some INSANE prices being paid for primers. $200-$300 for 1,000 primers.

remingtonman_25_06":2z5yz92s said:
I haven't noticed any issues, or major velocity, accuracy differences when using LR vs LRM primers. Maybe 25fps in most cases. It's really been negligent in that aspect. I'm about to switch everything over to LRM because they are easier to come by, and work just as well in 06 and 308 based cases, as they do in magnums. Small rifle primers are non existent anymore, and there really is no other alternative there...

Thank you, that's some info I was looking for. Probably is somewhat region specific, but around here magnum primers just haven't disappeared like standard large rifle has.

I'll pile on too... When changing anything, I usually drop back a few grains & work back upward looking at accuracy & velocity. I've never noticed a pressure spike, but the mag primers often change a known load's accuracy fairly noticeably while affecting velocity a bit as well... same as a different brand, or even a different lot of the same primer. Sometimes the hotter caps shrink SD & ES, sometimes not. It's all part of the fun & why I try to get reasonable quantities of components so as not to constantly chase my tail.

The shortage has been ongoing in various degrees since last spring.

For anyone who hadn't noticed... Re: Primers. I got this in an email this morning.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/why-is- ... m60kekfn6u

Luckily I found a guy locally that had a pile of WLRs last month. Nothing I load uses small primers except maybe 9mm if the loaded stash runs out... but now bullets have gotten hard to find too. Just like last time, & in 2008, Inexpensive rimfire is also gone. The grand daughter's Xmas present wont be a rifle this year with nothing to shoot out of it.

Shade Tree... I dont know where you are, but things are pretty bleak around here. You got any 25 cal 100 or 115 BTs in your local shops?

358 WCF":unfrg60b said:
I'll pile on too... When changing anything, I usually drop back a few grains & work back upward looking at accuracy & velocity. I've never noticed a pressure spike, but the mag primers often change a known load's accuracy fairly noticeably while affecting velocity a bit as well... same as a different brand, or even a different lot of the same primer. Sometimes the hotter caps shrink SD & ES, sometimes not. It's all part of the fun & why I try to get reasonable quantities of components so as not to constantly chase my tail.

The shortage has been ongoing in various degrees since last spring.

For anyone who hadn't noticed... Re: Primers. I got this in an email this morning.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/why-is- ... m60kekfn6u

Luckily I found a guy locally that had a pile of WLRs last month. Nothing I load uses small primers except maybe 9mm if the loaded stash runs out... but now bullets have gotten hard to find too. Just like last time, & in 2008, Inexpensive rimfire is also gone. The grand daughter's Xmas present wont be a rifle this year with nothing to shoot out of it.

Shade Tree... I dont know where you are, but things are pretty bleak around here. You got any 25 cal 100 or 115 BTs in your local shops?

I can't promise so, but pretty sure I could come up with some. The one shop that's likely to have some wouldn't be open until Wednesday. Three other shops that would be open tomorrow that may or may not have. I'll check for you.

I’m occasionally finding large pistol primers. But have been unable to find Mag primers. I had 115 mag rifle
Primers left. I’m find on the other type.
I could not find muzzle loader primers, but they had some shotgun 309’s which should work.

Same as others said. Powder and bullets seem to be available.

Ammo is no where on the shelf’s...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm probably not in near as good of shape as some, and way better shape than others so all of us I guess just got to shoot according to what we have on hand until this hopefully blows over.

1 thing about it I got a good amount of 30 caliber bullets of all different brands and weights, probably 2,000 or more. Got probably 500 used 30-06 brass. Approximately 6 lbs left out of a 8lb jug of IMR 4350. Four 30-06's. Using any amount of common sense, I should be good to go with a 30-06.

Also got a lot of 6mm bullets and a lot of 6mm brass. Everything else is spotty. Maybe a 100-200 here and there depending on the caliber.

22 ammo, I'm good for a few yrs if I pace myself on recreational shooting. Shotgun ammo not a lot but enough to get by for just hunting for a long time.

Just a thought. Certain components seem more region specific. Maybe we need to start a bartering blog or topic within say the classifieds to help each other out when possible?

For example, 358 win says he can't get 25 cal bt's. Mjcmichigan can't get magnum primers. I'd gladly pick up either locally and trade for equal value of standard LR primers.

Dumb idea or no?

Not a bad idea, but remember that we cant ship powder or primers to each other due to stupid hazmat regulations...Otherwise I'd say go for it. That basically just leaves bullets and brass you can ship to each other, and neither does any good if you cant get, or dont have any powder, or primers! I had a guy wanting to basically give me some SR primers, but alas hazmat makes it not even worth it at that point.

remingtonman_25_06":239cbdv3 said:
Not a bad idea, but remember that we cant ship powder or primers to each other due to stupid hazmat regulations...Otherwise I'd say go for it. That basically just leaves bullets and brass you can ship to each other, and neither does any good if you cant get, or dont have any powder, or primers! I had a guy wanting to basically give me some SR primers, but alas hazmat makes it not even worth it at that point.

Yeah good point. I wonder how the guys on GB are getting away with it. A lot of them are just shipping a flat rate through I'm assuming USPS or Fedex. Guess it will work until it doesn't.

Hmmm, you make a good point on that one! I dont know how they're getting away with it either. Maybe they're not disclosing what's really in the package. Pretty dangerous game to play, one I'm not willing to chance anyway. The ATF dont mess around hahaha. Not worth it for some primers or powder.

ShadeTree":og3usgpj said:
I can't promise so, but pretty sure I could come up with some. The one shop that's likely to have some wouldn't be open until Wednesday. Three other shops that would be open tomorrow that may or may not have. I'll check for you.

Thanks. Let me know.

I still have lots and lots of primers left over from when President Clinton was going to force the manufacturers to give them a 6 month shelf - life[emoji849]. I sub small rifle for small pistol and LR mag primers are fine when a standard is called for. The only thing I’ve noticed with mag primers is that the SD and ES go up when I chrono them.

Luckily I haven't seen any gouging locally up here in AK. That being said except for some random powders there is almost 0 availability on anything. Luckily I'm pretty set with what I've got loaded and components on hand. Retailers that carry anything with regularity are pretty limited in my area, only two come to mind, so you really just need to get lucky on your timing. And practically no one will bother to ship Hazmat to AK so pretty much anything online us out on that end. Once I luck out and find a 5lb jug of RL15 for the .375 I'll be happy.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Here in the UK it's almost impossible for a private individual to ship anything to do with firearms by post or courier. Especially not any kind of accelerant, so definitely not primers or powder. The usual way here is face to face (or via a good friend when convenient) for private individuals.

Having said that, earlier this year I shipped a barrel to a gunsmith giving a description of 'Machine parts' to the courier.
Buying propellant from a dealer here doesn't require proof of a firearms certificate, but buying primers does.
Primers in the UK are not in short supply whatever size is required, small, large, magnum. No problem.

Propellant, since the EU REACH regs came into being, all non compliant propellants are no longer being imported, not for a year now. But compliant propellants, typically EU ones are readily available, so e.g. Vihtavouri, Ramshot & Reloader Swiss readily available.

Personally, I was able to make the change from H4350, IMR4350 & IMR4831 easily to Viht propellants pretty easily, so not much load development was necessary.
In particular, Viht N560 proved stunning in my .25-06 with 110gn AB bullets and Fed LR 215 Match Mag primers.
Viht N540 excellent in 6.5 calibre rifles (y)

To be sure, I've always found VihtaVuori powders to be excellent in about everything I've ever loaded. My sole complaint was that they were quite costly in Canada. They had, however, excellent burn characteristics, etc.

In Italy i usually pay 90€ for 1 kg of Vihta N560 that I use in .338LM.
Same price for N150 that I use for .308Win.
At the moment I haven't problem to find large rifle Federal Gol Match Magnum primers that I pay 70€ for 1000, but warned by what i read from US I've recently bought 2000.
In the last 10 years reloading components cost are constantly growing up, but available.

Back