Reloading of 6,5x57R caliber...anyone?

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
I know I may be poking a cloud, but is there anyone on this forum who has or had any experience in reloading this "typical european" caliber?

If so, please raise your hand, as I would like to contact you for exchange of information/experience.

Thanks
:wink:

I've had no experience with this cartridge. There is info about it in the following 2 books:
Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions, 3rd edition page 448
Cartridges of the World, 4th edition page 259

Info from the above states that the case holds 58.4 grains water. Cases can be made from 7 X 57R Mauser or .444 Marlin brass. One load is listed:

120 grain bullet with 39.0 grains IMR4320 yields 2500fps. Barrel length not listed.

Lee Carkenord

dutchgus":3gwgacoa said:
What kind of info are you looking for? I'm loading for the non rimmed version and can give you some data for the 6,5x57R from the RWS and Viht. manuals.
You can also have a look at:
http://www.robsoft.nu/

http://www.bordingl.com/ricarica1.htm#Dati di ricarica cartucce per Fucile

Thank you for your reply.
I do not think there is a substantial difference in performances between the "R" and Rimless version, with maybe a tiny more poke on the latter.
The dies are the same and, apart from the bottom, cartridge dimensions do not differ.

Unfortunately, I am loading NORMA 204 powder, which does not seems to be used by anyone else in here :cry:
I'd be very happy to know what bullets are you loading and which of them is giving you the best performance.

Please, let me know.

Thank you

Cheers
:wink:

Bluejay
Although the case dimensions are pretty equal, the CIP max pressure of the rimmed version is 2900 bar compared to 3400 bar for the non rimmed. Therefor the maximum loads for the rimmed are appr. 5-10% below the non rimmed. According to the RWS manual the loads for the Swedish 6.5x55 are just a tad over those for the 6.5x57R so they give you a good guideline. A Google for 6.5x55 and Norma 204 should give you plenty of hits.
For roedeer my favorite bullet has been the 8.2 gr KS from RWS with a COL of 75.5 mm; good accuracy and very little meat damage. For bigger game I load the 140 grain Partition with a COL of 79 mm with excellent results.
For varmint and practice I use a reduced load with the 85 grains Sierra HP and COL of 72 mm. When I do my bit, I always get sub MOA 5 shot groups with it.
Hope this helps you getting started.
hpoe

Back