Reloading press

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
I currently have a RCBS rock chucker that I enjoy very much, but........
I also have some Hornady new dimention seating dies with micrometer tops that I also enjoy very much, but............
The Hornady dies only thread in to the rcbs press about 1.5 turns before it crimps the case and I don't crimp those cases.
Hornady also has a "lock and Load" feature that I know nothing about.

Do any of you have a Lock and Load press or use the new dimention dies?
What do you think of them.

I use the Hornady dies, but without the micrometer stem. I have thought about getting one, but just haven't yet. Anyway, I use them on an RCBS Reloader Special-5. I generally have not had problems, and I don't crimp with my seating dies, either. I do crimp some cases, but just not while seating the bullet. I am loading several cases varying in length from .243Win to .270Wby (30-06 length and shorter). Maybe you're loading a bunch of long stuff? Check with Hornady, maybe they can ream the dies for you just a tad?

I've used the Hornady ND dies on the Lee hand press, the Huntington Compac hand press, and the Forster Co-ax, and never had any problem crimping or avoiding crimping. The micrometer adjusting screw does not affect crimping. I can't use the micrometer on my co-ax (too tall to clear the handle yoke), but that's not a big deal to me. You do have a standard length (not extended) shell holder?

The Lock-n-Load insert system is a bayonet style quick change system for dies. They work with any press that has a 1-1/4x12 thread (i.e. uses an insert for standard 7/8x12 dies). Replace the threaded insert on the press with the Hornady insert, and put the LNL adapters on all of your dies.

I really like their seating dies, especially their ability to disassemble on press for cleaning (lead bullets w/lube gunk up seating dies fairly quickly) without affecting the settings. Their sizing dies are ok, but nothing special.

Their lock rings are the best available. Clamping action combined with wrench flats, a combination not available anywhere else. No matter what brand, all my dies wear Hornady lock rings.

Andy

Their lock rings are the best available. Clamping action combined with wrench flats, a combination not available anywhere else. No matter what brand, all my dies wear Hornady lock rings.

I have been loading for 300 win mag. I haven't had any problems with the seating die but I would feel better if the die would thread in a bit farther.
I think the Hornady press is a little taller than the RCBS. I imagine a RCBS die would have to be threaded almost all the way into a Hornady press.

old #7":21cg2z4g said:

I have been loading for 300 win mag. I haven't had any problems with the seating die but I would feel better if the die would thread in a bit farther.
I think the Hornady press is a little taller than the RCBS. I imagine a RCBS die would have to be threaded almost all the way into a Hornady press.

Most presses are designed to have about the same amount of gap between the top of the ram (at top of stroke) and the underside of the die holder. Taller presses have taller rams (and longer strokes) to keep it pretty much the same.

Something just does not sound right about your seating die. Does the sleeve slide all the way up inside the die before it hits the stop (which would also start the crimp)? It almost sounds like your seating plug is hung up on top of the sleeve inside the die. But that would probably give you very erratic seating depths too... Try taking the seating plug and adjuster screw out of your die, and setting it up just above where it starts to crimp (assuming you don't want to crimp). Does that lower the die into the press (it should stick out the bottom of the threaded hole in the press)? If so, something was wrong with your seating plug and/or screw adjustment.

Give Hornady a call, I've had very good experience with their technical assistance. You may have a faulty die body or sleeve.

Andy

Back