Reloading

Val

Beginner
Oct 30, 2004
Reloading does indeed save money. I shoot a lot and wouldn't be able to afford to shoot as much as I do if I didn't roll my own. In addition, I reload in order to get the most accurate loads for my various rifles.

I spend more money reloading but I shoot a lot more than if I were to buy factory shells.
Placing another order with SHooters Pro Shop.

JD338

JD338":ohgkni72 said:
I spend more money reloading but I shoot a lot more than if I were to buy factory shells.
Placing another order with SHooters Pro Shop.

JD338

Ditto! You do not save maoney. You just shoot more on your budget!

JD338[/quote]

Ditto! You do not save maoney. You just shoot more on your budget![/quote]

Budget ????? :roll: What the heck is that......OH...you mean like household expenses and such. There is no such thing as a budget when it comes to hunting and shooting is there? So that's what my wife has been talking about!!!! :oops:

Blaine

Yeah. What you would have saved, you spend anyway, cause you can spend more time at the range.

I doubt I have saved much by reloading but it has been worth every penny! My ability, confidence and knowledge are much higher now as a reloader. I know I can develop a specific load for a usage which is very satisfying personally and extremely useful for hunting antelope to moose with my same favorite rifle! The ability to get new to market bullets up here is impossible in factory but obtainable as a reloader - priceless IMO. Being able to get a specific grain for caliber that is for a use outside the mass population is equally priceless. In fact this maybe where I have saved money extending the usefulness of cartridges I already own vs obtaining a new one for purpose. Instead I spend money tweaking or modify rifles that fit me well and I like. Being a lefty this works really well for me.

Now I look forward to range time and shoot much more - this all in itself is worth the efforts and money to reload. I'm getting more for my annual wildlife federation membership dollars. I also have got a great shooting group so we feed off each other and enjoy our passion of this sport. Made a ton of good friends since I became a "NORM" at the range.

A great way to further your passion for the sport. The rewards are worth the investment, IMHO.

Reloading to "save money" is a pie in the sky concept if you take reloading seriously. The tools, gadgets, various bullet styles.types/weights I buy searching for that "perfect" load is costly to say the least. I load purely for the pleasure of it as a hobby. It just happens to have a built in bonus or two that make it even more attractive. 1) It is self perpetuating in that you load first and then you have to test your product and then reload some more, so you never run out of stuff to do.
2) The product of your hobby leads to another favorite pastime.... shooting. What other hobby gives you the satisfaction of using the results of your labors for even more enjoyment (well, maybe fly-tying).

It is like they say about taking a vacation across the country.....getting there is usually half the fun. For that reason, I'm very precise in my case prep, and very particular about powder charge weights and bullet run-out and such. It takes me a lot longer to load 100 rounds than most of my friends, but I enjoy the hobby so much, that taking the time doesn't bother me in the least. That's why I don't use a powder measure , opting to hand weigh each charge on a balance scale, and instead of a tumbler, I prefer to clean my cases one at a time so that I can feel each one for any dents, bulges, splits, etc. For me, reloading is more an art than a process.

Blaine

Amen, Blaine.
All the accessories needed (wanted) keep reloading from being an inexpensive hobby. As far as costs go, if you add up the press, dies, scales, measures, trimmers, components, cleaners, gauges, chronies, etc - you would find out you could buy a LOT of factory ammo. Reloading for savings - no way. It must be thought of as a hobby - and most hobbys spend money - not save or make money.

Components - Lots of $$$
Tools - Lots of $$$
Knowledge gained - Priceless

I have shot rifles for years (about 47), but have only reloaded for months. Before I started reloading, I had NO idea what I DIDN'T know. I have learned SO much from needing AND wanting to learn about my new hobby. The forums and websites are priceless.

I just left Midways site with a $190 addition to my card. This is on top of a similar one back in Dec with Noslers shop and doesn`t take the "couple" bucks I drop at random in the neighborhood gunshop into acount.

Save money? My wife wishes............. :lol:

Reloading doesn't save money? Every price .257 Wby Mag ammo?! Ten boxes would set the average handloder up pretty well.

Sure I do. And while I do not do it for the economy, it sure is a heck of a lot cheaper over the long haul. Sure I could buy surplus ball ammo for pennies a round, but I am loading match-quality stuff for the same price. Federal Gold Medal Match .45 ammo is about $30 a box. After shooting about 2000 rnds, don't you think I've paid for a case trimmer or powder dispenser? Let's not even get in to loading for my .454 Casull ($34/box of 20 rnds), .257 Wby ($52/box 20), or my .338-378 Wby ($109/box of 20). Reloading ain't cheaper for the average hunter/shooter. But if you're like me and shoot literally thousands of rounds a year, reloading pays for itself with a quickness.

Juggernaut76,

I agree with you.
I used to shoot Hi Power competition. Reloading was and is still the only way to go.

JD338

Juggernaut76":1fr8eoq1 said:
Let's not even get in to loading for my .454 Casull ($34/box of 20 rnds), .257 Wby ($52/box 20), or my .338-378 Wby ($109/box of 20). .

Yup that would hurt!!!

I know, I shoot a 416 WBY. :mrgreen:

Reloading to save money might have worked with one caliber or competition shooting like JD338 but it soon becomes an all emcompassing hobby like fly tying. It's my therapy! Reloading to save money has become (for me) like hunting elk in Idaho to save money on meat. I can't sing or dance worth a darn or paint or sculpt or do brain surgury but I can create the perfect load in 20+ different rifles and pistols. I HAVE PURPOSE!!! :grin:

Back