Rem 7 MM SAUM

Excellent! Sounds like provision of some fine dining for the family. It would seem you didn't get a lot of expansion. I would assume that to be the result of the close shot and perhaps a failure to hit bone. Still, glad to hear you recovered the deer. I've certainly had my share of "dead deer" run an amazing distance. Still, I recovered them all.

DrMike":spxxcwbj said:
Excellent! Sounds like provision of some fine dining for the family. It would seem you didn't get a lot of expansion. I would assume that to be the result of the close shot and perhaps a failure to hit bone. Still, glad to hear you recovered the deer. I've certainly had my share of "dead deer" run an amazing distance. Still, I recovered them all.

I did hit bone. Broke onside shoulder/leg. (Leg was flopping as it ran off). Chest cavity was full of blood. I'm thinking the 10 yd range of the shot may have caused the bullet to expand and then peel back to the point the shank portion of the bullet was all that was left to exit. However I didn't autopsy the lungs or heart to confirm as it was end of the day and I had a two hour drag back to my truck.

I plan to use the N150ABLR again to see how it performs in the future.

I've had good success with the 150 grain ABLR, taking a six-point elk and a largish mule deer so far with the bullet launched from a .280 Rem. In either instance, the bullet dropped the animal right smartly.

I am have been playing with the 150gr. ABLR in my 280AI, I have the accuracy and the speed I wanted but now I just have to see what she does when she hits a animal :).
Jim, I am looking forward to your range report and the photos of that new rifle (y).

PS. Buttermilk412 welcome aboard I know you are going to enjoy this site and the people are lots of fun and the knowledge is almost endless. Shooting a 284 cal has already endeared you to many of us,just one more quick question to do you own a 35 Whelen :mrgreen:?

Blessings,
Dan

The 7mm RSAM is just about identical to a 280 Ackley in size and such right?

Sounds like a couple of cool builds. Love those little 7's.

My 7 SAUM has been just a little faster than my 280AI, but they are virtual ballistic twins.

Unfortunately I don't own a 35 Whelen.

Buttermilk":262hxp5h said:
Unfortunately I don't own a 35 Whelen.

I'm sure we'll forgive you for this momentary lapse in judgement. :lol: With the shorter barrel on your Rem XP, I can see how this would be the case. Still, sounds as if your SAUM is performing just fine for you. The 7 SAUM is a fine cartridge. I've worked up loads for a couple over the years.

Back