Rem 700 Tac ?

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
I was able to put my hands on a Rem 700 Tactical in .308 today. This one had the green stock ( B & C I think ) ?? and I'm thinking a 22 in tube.. wasn't much info on the gun, but it felt great. The barrel wasn't quite the tri-angle VTR, but three large flutes....
Anyone had experice with this set-up??

Actually found it on the Remington Law Inforcement page under the 700 LTR. ( poor pic of it on there ) and see it's also offered in the .300SAUM

Most of those LTR's shoot real well. Popular w/quite a few SWAT teams. Compact. Reasonable weight and we're banging targets with ours at 600+ yards, no problem.

Guyrange01.jpg

LTR02.jpg

All of them that I've worked with were easily capable of sub MOA performance with 168 grain Federal Gold Medal .308 ammo. I use 155 of 168 grain Noslers in my handloads for 'em.

Congrats on what should be a darned good little rifle for you!

Guy,
That's the one... these two that I've seen have green stocks on them though.....
It's not in my safe yet, but I'm talking really hard with Santa right now :grin:

Powerstroke,

I know you have been a good boy. :wink: I'm sure Santa will put one under the tree for you.

That sure is a fine looking rifle. Sounds like they are shooters too!

JD338

I have one with the black stock. It is a shooter, my best groups so far has been .353" @ 100 yards with Sierra 168gr SMK's.

That's a great group!

These LTR's don't seem to show much loss of velocity with their 20" barrels, not when chambered for the .308 at any rate. They're often very accurate little rifles. Recent production versions have the latest Remington trigger - which isn't bad. Bores are often a little rough, but still quite accurate. I think they're a great all-around rifle. Reasonable weight, compact, adequate power and excellent accuracy as a general rule.

Try a box of Federal 168 grain Gold Medal ammo to test it for accuracy. :grin: Handloaded Nosler 155's and 168's have worked out real well too.

Show us a photo or two and I'd enjoy a range report when you get a chance!

Regards, Guy

Powerstroke":1b5aymz1 said:
Anyone had experice with this set-up??
Yes, I sure do. I bought mine about 6 months ago and love it. I have had a number of REM tactical style rifles over the years, such as the 700 Police model. But the new Model 700 XCR Tactical is head and shoulders better in a number of ways. The matte finish is great and I much prefer the XCR teflon coating over the old parkerizing on the Police model. The fit /finish on mine is perfect and the rifle balances/mounts very well, even though it weighs over 10 pounds with the Ziess scope I mounted. The stock has the aluminum bedding block inside and the awesome trigger is the same as the one on the XB-40 target rifles. The trigger is fully adjustable for pull weight without removing the rifle from the stock. I really like the thumb hook cutout on the bottom of the stock when shooting off the bench. The XCR has the R-3 recoil pad which makes long term shooting more pleasant...feels like a 25-06. Best of all, mine was shooting small bug holes without any trouble during initial sight in. I found the 155's Sierra Match Palma shoot the best behind a big load of Hodgdon Varget but it also like the Sierra 168's. My 155 Palma load clocks at 3000 fps on my chrony. The XCR Tactical quickly became my favorite rifle...and I have a few in the safe. :)

Back