Rem 798?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I have a friend who is seriously considering this rifle in 375 H&H mag. What are your opinions on this relatively newly introduced rifle? Accuracy is his biggest concern sine big green has been slipping lately.

I notice that Remington is not listing either the 798 or the 799 as an offering on their web site. Have they discontinued importing it? If so, I would wonder what the reason might be. It could be as innocuous as poor sales to a quality control issue. Just a thought.

Since this is a Serbian made rifle, I would have some concerns about quality. Likely, the rifle is minute of buffalo at reasonable distances, but the 375 H & H should be quite accurate. If it were me, I would be looking to CZ, Sako 85 or similar rifle.

I do not know what the deal is with that.
Though both the CZ and Sako are awesome guns, the SAKO is expensive and the CZ is like 10 lbs!

Though both the CZ and Sako are awesome guns, the SAKO is expensive and the CZ is like 10 lbs!

True on both counts. I am just more comfortable with the proven quality. A good, used domestic manufactured rifle would be preferable in my opinion.

I have fired the M798 in .375 H&H as a Remington sponsored shoot (with their ammo!), and the rifle I used was smooth (already broken in) and shot well. I would not be afraid to buy one. I liked the two thin graphite pieces included in the laminated stock.

Try CDNN Investments, I think they have some of these rifles on sale in a close out.

With that said there are a lot of used .375 H&H rifles out there, and you could go for one of those too. I sold mine after I used my .375 Ruger African...jim

Cool we looked at cdnn no dice.

I would be hanging out at Auction Arms then.

Gunbroker is bigger but I have heard their buyer support is not great...jim

So has Remington stopped offering the 798?

JD338

That is too bad. I have handled a few of the 375's at gun shows, and other than being a little heavy and having a 26" barrel, they seemed like nice rifles. Seems like a good platform to build from. Scotty

Didnt care for the remington style safety, other than that liked the looks of what was there.

Any body know why Remington did away with the 798?
Remington has made more than one mistake over the years by discontinuing really nice rifles.

JD338

I think they are masters of getting rid of solidly built rifles and replacing the line with more crap like the 710-770 series. I like Remington Rifles and shotguns, but they always introduce something and then don't really market it really well. I think the 798 was a solid rifle, and like CL, I didn't care for the safety, but they had good laminated stocks and solid receiver! Scotty

Back