Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
anybody else get the Remington email?

email_01.jpg

email_02.jpg

email_03.jpg

hmmmm.......

I got the email too...

So its the fourth rifle now in the bargain line with an Accutrigger and barrel nut in a sub $500 range. I wonder why a barrel nut seems to reduce the cost of a rifle by $200-$300?

We started with the Savage, then the Marlin, then the Ruger, and now the Remington. All have wowed a lot of the gun rag writers in terms of accuracy and reliability. I don't own and have no specific plans to own any of them. I'm not sure what I expected from Big Green anyway, but this is at least interesting considering they already had the 770 in the bargain lineup.

Guess we are going to have to wait for someone to put them out in the field and give us a non-writers viewpoint.

Based on the specs, and the fact that Remington and Marlin are owned by the same company, it sure seems like a Marlington rifle to me.

Maybe XL-783 should have been the name. :roll:

I'm not too sure about Remington anymore. They are a follower instead of a leader. They lack innovation and their quality is poor. In all honesty, I don't' see a new Remington in my safe.

JD338

They still make 700's and most still shoot quite well (even if they do get torn apart before I find out). I'll still buy 700's to build guns with weather they are new or old.

I've gotta say....the new fascination with plastic economy rifles leaves me cold.

They probably work OK, they may shoot great...but they sure don't raise my blood pressure any.

hodgeman":2lmaxvkt said:
I've gotta say....the new fascination with plastic economy rifles leaves me cold.

They probably work OK, they may shoot great...but they sure don't raise my blood pressure any.

Same here..

I'm gonna take a little different viewpoint and give the Big Green SubPar Quality Control Machine a little credit here. From what I'm seeing here, this is an honest to goodness decent rifle. I don't mean to start a flame war over other offerings from Remington, but no one will ever be able to convince that the 710 and 770 are nothing but low cost, low quality, cater to the unsuspecting, feeble-arsed bean counting attempts to compete in the entry level market by relying on nothing substantive except their name to sell those horrid rifles (and yes, they do tend to be accurate... so I guess there's that).

Ok, so I've given them some credit. Now the flip side :wink: ... I fail to see what's so special about this rifle, though. I'd still rather have a Stevens 200 or a Marlington X series Marlin... heck even a current Marlington X series as I believe they can be had cheaper than what the projected street price of the 783 will be. There's nothing revolutionary or special about the rifle, just an attempt to take some market share in the entry level arena which the 710 and 770 are unable to do.

And let's face facts... those on a budget need only save up a few more bucks and they're right there for a 700 ADL combo package ( http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t105523380 ).... an honest to goodness 700 already scoped for about what this 783 will wind up costing after bases, rings, and scope of like quality. Thanks Remington, but no thanks.

BTW... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t105523380 .... extra no thanks, Remington!

I tend to think you're right..

You're only a couple hundred bucks away from a genuinely good used rifle that'll last decades.

I've never really seen the point of trimming dollars on an item intended to last several generations.

hodgeman":r0dkrilq said:
I've never really seen the point of trimming dollars on an item intended to last several generations.

Without a doubt! Too many good Model 70's out there that need good homes!

man that accutrigger...... how many have copied it now?

SJB358":156fh1ud said:
Without a doubt! Too many good Model 70's out there that need good homes!

:lol: Now that was funny!! Gotta go with the majority here...probably won't ever find another current made Remington in my safe. A Tikka might not be the "cats pajama's", but it sure is better than any of this crap. The XS-7 Marlin I bought in .243 a couple years ago shoots bug-hole groups and can be had for around $300.

There is still something special about wrapping my hands around a wood stock when I go into the woods though...
Cheers

The new low end rifles have a little flair and probably shoot as good or better than the old standards from 20 or 30 years ago but you can see the cost cutting effects. As I remember the Savage 110 was junk back in the 80s, as was the Remington 788. I've tried the Mossberg 4x4 in 338 Win. with marinecoat, fluted barrel and muzzle brake on the laminated stock. It weighed about 6.75 lbs and shot about 1" groups. The quality wasn't great but I wish I'd kept it, and my Remington 788.
You never know.

Hodgeman mentioned a rifle lasting for generations. My father-in-law succumbed to the temptation sometime around 04 or 05 and picked up a 710 in 30-06. I wasn't quite the gun nut then that I am now, but even back then it still oozed of... cheapness? I just didn't like the way it felt. It shot wonderfully, but it just didn't feel like a real gun. My father passed away in 06 and my brother and I were to split up his guns... probably 8 or 9 in total. None of them were fine or high dollar guns, but they were all of decent quality. Given the time around his passing, it made me think about what I was going to be passing down to my kids... and a couple of my dad's guns will be in there. Over the years, my father-in-laws 710 came up in various discussions here and there and it just isn't a rifle that has that aura of... well.... being special a generation or two from now. Although I own my fair share of synthetic stocked rifles, I think that is one reason that I tend to prefer walnut & blue. To me, it represents some manner of heritage. Not exactly sure how to explain it.

Back