Remington 700 rebarreled

Outstanding Dan! Douglas makes a great barrel. Good looking rifle, I have no doubt it will be an amazing shooter.

Got the bolt back from my gunsmith. No major ordeal. Ejector rod binding on minute piece of brass. Took to the range to finish break-in process. Used a starting load of IMR 4895, old CCI 200 primers, non- fireformed brass and Rem 130gr CL. Didn't want to waste any good stuff,lol. Anyway shot 3 on right cleaning between shots. Shot 3 on left didn't clean. Then shot 5 for group just see what would happen without cleaning. That was the best group of the day. A throw together load. Couple others not as tight but wasn't expecting it to be. Shows promise. If it will group half as good with better bullets on top end of more favorable 270 type powders I'll be happy. Dan.

Attachments

• 20230403_133712.jpg
    20230403_133712.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230403_150516.jpg
    20230403_150516.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230403_134251.jpg
    20230403_134251.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 21
Well, I've had a couple minor setbacks with this project. I took it back for them to lengthen the throat, still not quite as long as I wanted but doable. After talking to Travis who installed the barrel, he did recommend their break in procedure. So, I went to the range and started, shoot 1 clean, got 4 rounds fired and the ejector rod stuck in the bolt head. Not sure if a minute piece of brass binds it up or what, had cleaned bolt inside. It's at my gunsmith getting replaced. I do have some loads ready for a ladder test when back in operation. Dan.
I always try to tell you Remington guys... :p

You just may be onto something. Very promising loads.
I think so Dr. Mike. It seems the faster they go the farther apart they fly :D I am not trying to make a magnum out of it but would like to get all I can out of it. I'll take accuracy over velocity, within reason of course. Dan.

All my custom rifles have Douglas barrels. Have used them for years.

On the .275, I have a few rifles so chambers. A Winchester m&0 in a McMillan stock with the same shape as the Featherweights with 24" barrel. Pet load is the long discontinued 57.5 gr. WMR (Winchester Magnum Rifle powder) for close to 2900 FPS with the 150 gr. Sierra game King. I can substitute a Nosler 150 gr. Partition with absolutely no change needed in sight settings. Aong with the M70, I have thre Mausers, two of which are commercial FNs and the other a WW2 war bring back marked Danzig. It was apperently rebarreled as some time by P.O. Ackley according to the markings on the barrel. Last but not least is a Ruger #1A with 22" barrel. All the others are 24" and the danzig may be 26" It's been so long since I even looked at it that I can't be sure. Most rifle will run about .75 " except for the Ruger as one inch and the Danzig at 2 to 2.5" at best. Problem is it only has iron sights and my eyes and iron sights don't get along all that well. The reasin I have not yet scoped the rifle is it as original set up for some king of European mount that didn't come with the rifle when I bought it. Gunsmith quote from $800 to $1,000 to make it where a conventional scope could be mounted. I have a Pachmayr low swing mount that swivels so you can switch to iron sight if necessary but it's for a Winchester M70. Not too sure I can adapt it to the Mauser.

That 150 gr. Sierra/Nosler load is the only one I use. It pain old works.
Paul B.

Back