Remington model 700 VTR

noslerfan

Beginner
Feb 13, 2012
Anybody have a Remington M700 VTR with the triangular barrel ? I have shot them and they seem accurate, but was wondering if there was a advantage over the round barrel.

It is primarily decorative. There is neither a distinct advantage nor a disadvantage to the triangular barrel.

I have one. Stock it was a 223 and grouped 6" at 100yds or worse. Since it has had: THe action trued, chamber opened up to 223AI, trigger set, bolt lugs lapped and the brake cut off and a new crown cut. The brake is quite deep and I suspect a poor crown was the root of the inaccuracy, but the AI chamber and accurizing can't hurt anyway, so it's fixed real good.

It is a deadly little package with a barrel near 20" and shoots well with most anything, even 55 grn FMJ AE ammo.

JT

jtoews80":2dh36m3i said:
I have one. Stock it was a 223 and grouped 6" at 100yds or worse. Since it has had: THe action trued, chamber opened up to 223AI, trigger set, bolt lugs lapped and the brake cut off and a new crown cut. The brake is quite deep and I suspect a poor crown was the root of the inaccuracy, but the AI chamber and accurizing can't hurt anyway, so it's fixed real good.

It is a deadly little package with a barrel near 20" and shoots well with most anything, even 55 grn FMJ AE ammo.

JT

JT, what do you mean by it had the trigger set? Just worked over for a lighter pull, installed a single set trigger, or what? I've never heard that phrase.

The brake is one thing that always bothered me about the VTR... I hate brakes with a nearly psychotic passion. But then I don't really like short barrels very much, either. Sounds like the way you went about it might be a pretty good way to fix one of them up.

DrMike":38aoh4qx said:
It is primarily decorative. There is neither a distinct advantage nor a disadvantage to the triangular barrel.

Something else to sell new rifles I guess Mike. I kind of figure if the benchrest crowd and long range guys aren't jumping on it then it's not quite what they envision it to be! Not that it can't work though as jtoews80 can attest to.

David

It took $235 for a skilled smith to make it shoot, Not including the AI chamber. I think the plain SPS varmint in alot better option if weight isn't an issue.

Back