Remington SPS - Glass Bedding?

If that is the Tupper Ware stock, yes. Rough up the areas and clean them well with a good solvent, I use acetone. I have not found it to be necessary to drill holes at various angles for the bedding to hold.Rick.

You can, but It's not worth it. Those stocks are garbage. I have done many bedding jobs with great results, but the bedding job I did to my friends sps was a nightmare. I roughed up the stock with a dremel tool, cleaned it with degreaser, and also heated it up(a trick that many people said would work.) Long story short, when I popped the action out of the stock, huge pieces of bedding came with it. It's a lot of hard work for nothing. If you really want a quality bedding job get a wood stock and bed it with pillars all in one shot. This is hands down the number one guarenteed way to shrink groups! Good luck in whatever you do.

I'm with ScreaminEagle. Save up and get a good laminate (about $150) or a good synthetic (B&C Medalist $250) and you'll be satisfied. Bedding a tupperware stock is like putting a silk suit on a pig. It's only a good idea until you try it, then you realize it's just a waste of material and effort.

I'd go into looking at it as pretty much having what your time is worth - may work, may not ?
I like to tinker so I went at it with realizing I may need to purchase a new stock.

With that said, I did my 700 VTR plastic fantastic stock. Not 100% sure what went wrong due to the barrel continues to lay down the left side even after a lot of plastic removal.

3M makes some solvent patches that the autobody shops wipe down body pannels before applying adhesive - I used those to clean the area.
As mentioned above, I roughed up the area, but was concerned about the compound "popping" loose. I anchored some tiny machine screws into the area before applying the compound. I've had the action in and out numerous times and attempted to flex the stock to make it pop and unable to.

With that said, if I don't send this rifle down the road, I'll put a B&C on it.

I have bedded 30+ of the tupperware type stocks, from several manufacturers. Non have popped loose. It is all in the prep.Rick.

Do you see real gains in accuracy when you bed a tupperware stock, Rick? I've heard it has helped, and I've heard it hasn't. If you've done that many, I'm hoping you can help me out with some real facts on this. Thanks for letting me borrow your experience - it's so much cheaper for me that way!!!

I have bedded several plastic stocks. The last one I did was my wifes 7-08. It cut groups size down about 3/4" on average and kept it around that. Before it would shoot nice (1 MOA or less) one day and like crap (3 MOA) the next with the same load. Now it groups right around an inch all the time with the same load.

I did a buddies 338 WM in a XCR that wouldn't shoot. We tried over 250 rounds and nothing grouped better than 2". After we bedded it, everthing shot under 2", and his hunting load now shoots five 225 TTSX under an inch all day.

It can be done. I rough all my stocks up and make several cuts with a Dremal tool in areas where I'll be bedding. If a guy makes those cuts, or drills some holes, your odds of things going right increase. Make sure you use plenty of release agent on all the metal, then use some more. All my plastic bedded stocks have held up great. But I havn't done as many as some other on here.

I wouldn't say that bedding makes a rifle more accurate as much as I would say that it eliminates one thing that can cause a rifle to shoot poorly, or inconsistently. A factory rifle only has so much potential, some more than others. A match grade barrel and a blueprint make a rifle shoot better by giving it greater potential to do so.

One more note, bedding is not a job that a guy gets done in an hour and has a few beers while he does it. That is a very good way to end up sticking your rifle in the stock for good. TAKE YOUR TIME!

Throw that SPS stock in the garbage where it belongs and get something else. I've owned rifles for over 30 years and that is without a doubt the worst stock I've ever seen.

The problem is it's flimsy. Even bedded when you fire it the action will still flex in the stock.

I bought one back in Oct and knew going in I'd be replacing the stock. I went with a B&C and do not regret it.

You can fool with that SPS stock all you want but you're just wasting money.

The last three B&C stocks I have worked on all required hours to get the action into the stock properly. Two were Rem 700s and one a Ruger 77. The Rem stocks had alum. bedding blocks. On the long action the action screw holes did not line up with the action and the front of the alum. block only touched in two places. On the short action, the action was so loose it was like it was for something else. The Ruger would not even enter the stock. I have had other B&C stocks that only required bedding but the last three were trash.
I bed a 1/4 inch rod in the front of tupperware stocks and they are very rigid. I agree they are far from ideal but they can be made quite functional.Rick.

I've owned 3 B&C stocks, never spent more then 5 minutes installing any of them. Fit and finish have been excellent in my opinion. I would purchase another in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the comments...shopping for a Bell and Carlson now. Hopefully it will shrink some groups.

I guanantee the B&C will shrink your groups. I bought my SPS in Oct, the best I could do was 1" groups with most over that.

I immediately sprung for a B&C Medalist and Timney trigger. The rifle is now shooting about 1/2" and should do a little better as I find what it likes.

A tip on the stock. I ordered mine from Aftermarket Innovations. When I ordered I was told they were running 2 weeks for delivery. I waited 6 weeks and could kick myself. That stock was available the whole time from Midway, could have had it in 3 days. The stock arrived a few days before Xmas. I was out in the snow shooting it on Xmas day.

I heard horror stories from people saying it took a lot of work to make the stock fit. Not so, simple bolt in just like the other 2 I own.

My friend tried free floating his SPS, it worked to some degree but no matter what he ground out the barrel still ended up contacting the stock somewhere.

Here's a picture of the finished rifle.
DSC_3054.jpg

I have done a model 70 and a model 700 and have made them work quite well with the tupperware stocks! I do drill holes at different angles and rough up the rest. What seems to be the key to making these stocks work is the stiffening of the fore-end by gluing in wood in the hollows then bedding completely over the wood with bedding compound. I do leave clearance to the barrel in the bedding. I went the laminate route first, but there are drawbacks, the one used in my 300 wby split at the tang and the fore-end after one elk hunt. It was also heavy and slick, with no checkering. If I decide to go with another stock it will have an aluminum bedding block and checkering.

Back