Replacement Mauser triggers

BretN

Handloader
Jan 22, 2015
I used some Christmas money and picked up a pretty nice sporterized Mauser for cheap because there was no stamping on the barrel as to what caliber it was. Once I figured out it was a 30-06, I was in business. It has Williams FP-98 receiver sights on it and shot the starting loads I ran through it pretty well at 100 yards.

I intend to keep it pretty much as is for now aside from refinishing and maybe glass bedding the stock, but I want to replace the trigger. I'll keep the military safety because I like that it cuts off the firing pin, but may eventually go with a low swing Buehler style one for the same reason.

I'm leaning towards getting the Dayton-Traistar trigger for it, but the Bold and Timneys are also in the same price range. The Dayton looks to be all steel, very simple, and won't require much stock work to fit. It also has very favorable reviews on Brownells.

Does anyone have any experience with the Dayton? Or for the same money as the Timney, I could order the Dayton with their speed lock kit. Will the speed lock kit make much of a difference? Thanks for your feedback.

The speed lock would be a great improvement since it would modernize the bolt and cock on the up lift of the handle instead of when closing the bolt if I remember right.

I've got a Timney on my Mauser, with the trigger safety. I love it. Very crisp, no creep at all. It made a world of difference over the original.

I don't think Boyd's is selling the Bold trigger anymore. I'd just order a Timney that's what I have always used in M98 Mausers with no issues.

Two of my Mausers have Dayton-Traitor trigger and two other Mausers have Timney's. Frankly, my preference is for the Timney. YMMV. :wink:
Paul B.

Well, Midway had the Timney sportsman w/o safety on sale for $49, so I ordered one and an $8 firing pin spring. I was also having some trouble with shells from the left side not staying in the magazine and potentially causing a jam, so I ordered an aftermarket follower too. Hopefully, that will take care of the feeding issue. Thanks for your input guys.

Bret

This the Trigger I bought from Boyds. I gave it to a friend because it wouldn't fit mine. Reportedly it will work on his Mauser. He hasn't installed it yet, but the holes line up.

It did not fit this My Mauser action. I mean the pins would have never even come close. No one has been able to tell me what Mauser this might be.

CL

Back