Resizing too much? What is too much?

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
I've searched and read most of the posts, and continue to learn, although I, too have been reloading since the early sixties.

I have an Encore that I've been loading for in 25-06 for three years, but continue to measure and experiment. Always felt like resizing was taking more force than necessary, even with the best lubes, etc.

I just did a chamber cast, and compared measurements with fired brass, resized brass, and loaded rounds. What I discovered is that the necks are going from a .292" chamber, shrink back on firing to .2895", sized to < .278, expander balled to .279", and then out to .282" when the bullet is seated. Whew! To me that seems excessive. This is in an RCBS X die. Necks on WW brass have been turned to even up, and are .0125" thick.

Shoulder/body junction is .443" fired, .436" resized. Midpoint is .461" fired, .451 resized. These seem excessive to me also. Do those out there who give most of the resizing advice think so?

I resize now to where I have .001" clearance between the case head and the Encore firing pin bushing. The measurements I gave are with the die set for this headspace. Am thinking about honing out the die body somewhat to match the chamber better. Not sure how to open up the neck even if I wanted to. Got a plain Hornady FL die I can butcher first.
Thanks!
Elkeater2

What is the base to datum line measurement on a fired case and sized case? You only need to bump the shoulder back 1-2 thousants. I don't understand your shoulder/body measurements. You are definitely moving the neck around more than necessary. FL dies are usually hardened and honing might be a problem.
As 6ppcar says get a bushing die with a .280 and .281 bushing.Rick.

rick smith":2ftv7j7t said:
What is the base to datum line measurement on a fired case and sized case? You only need to bump the shoulder back 1-2 thousants. I don't understand your shoulder/body measurements. You are definitely moving the neck around more than necessary. FL dies are usually hardened and honing might be a problem.
As 6ppcar says get a bushing die with a .280 and .281 bushing.Rick.
Rick, on these actions you need to establish at least .001" between the case head and firing pin bushing in order to have clearance and proper action lock-up when closing. The fired cases rechamber OK, and the "datum line" comparison is negligible, yet I don't have that same clearance. This can be verified by closing the action on the fired case, then noting how much free travel there is in the trigger guard when opening the action again. More free travel than there is on an empty chamber means the action has not locked up completely. If you are experienced with Encores, forgive the tutorial. They do require different procedures for sure.

Sorry you don't understand the measurements. The midpoint measurements are 1.000" from the base toward the shoulder - just a spot I picked to do diameter comparison. They illustrate that the case body is getting reduced in diameter from pressure ring to shoulder an average of .008" when resized to provide that .001" head clearance.

I am trying to learn what the various collet and bushing dies might really do in this situation before dropping the big bucks. I've read that Forster or someone will machine their dies to more closely match fired cases, yet still resize as I need. Stay tuned.
wallypedal

I don't have an Encore but have loaded for several and applied normal loading procedures without any problems. They shot very well and the owners haven't had any problems with the loads. But I am willing to listen amd learn.Rick.

Back