Cases too short to the datum line - 25-06

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
That's what I have quite a few of. Loading for an Encore and resized a few thou too short. Like about .005" shorter than I want. Some of these were bought 1X fired from others. Trying to preserve case life, I was thinking about annealing, then running a .284 expander down and back through the neck. Wouldn't that make enough of a bump so I could then resize to what I want, but it would chamber tight enough to minimize stretch on firing? I have time to experiment! EE2

As long as you make sure it's a snug fit I see no reason why it would not work.
Paul B.

if it's only .005 to short , I'd load them and shoot . next time through the dies get them sized correctly . I sure wouldn't worry over this .

jimbres, I agree. I think when I started with some 1x fired brass from commercial sources, some must have been fired in overlength chambers/actions and stretched too much. Then I overworked them sizing back to 'normal'. A few of those had early separations after I only loaded them a couple times. I didn't worry about them the first time I sized them, so not sure. The same problem cases had what I'd call a pronounced or really obvious expansion ring above the web. Thus my concern went overboard with these. I'll just sort, mark, and shoot. Maybe I'll learn something....

Back