Results of 338 Win Mag w/ 225gr Hornady SST

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, since I struck out on turkeys again today, I decided to give the 338 Win Mag a try with the 225gr Hornady SST's. I kinda went with them for a practice load to shoot long range, and an overall deer/elk load. My goal was to get 2900FPS out of them. I loaded up RL22, IMR7828, and RL19. I didn't get to shoot many of the RL22 loads, or the IMR7828 loads, but I kinda think I have what I want with RL19. It is accurate and fast.

Here is 74gr RL19 for three (2846, 2863, 2815 FPS) (these were shot through a bare, clean barrel, first rounds for the day with no fouling shots)
DSC_0132.jpg

75gr (2830-2845-2844 FPS) There is actually two shots there, third was a shooter induced flyer
DSC_0134.jpg

76gr (2882, 2896, 2905 FPS)
DSC_0131.jpg

Here is the one group of RL22 I got to shoot at 74gr (2738, 2755, 2722 FPS)
DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

Sorry for the less than stellar photography, still learning all this stuff!

I also had some loads I was experimenting with, they were the 175gr Hornady Spire Points, I used RL22 and IMR7828 out of my WBY Vanguard. 63.5 grains was pretty horrible, maybe a 2" group at best. Here is 64gr of RL22. Velocity was all over the map, which comfuses me a little as my stuff is trimmed, powder charges are all weighed on a 10-10 that I check with weights everytime I use it. It was odd. The FPS average was a dismal 2750. Not really into 30-06 speeds for a 7mm Mag. I did shoot my 160gr AccuBond load (66gr RL22, CCI250 WW Case) through the chrono with a clean, bare barrel, and it shot (2976, 2977, 2980FPS) and produced a neat little 3/4" group. I was very happy with that, and will continue loading those. I just wanted to try the Hornady's out as a cheap bullet, but I think I am going to stick with the AccuBond.
DSC_0135.jpg

I also brought my Ruger 300 Win Mag along to verify zero in the Summer like weather and see how it was shooting. My load is 74gr of RL22 with a Sierra 200gr Gameking. It was crossing the chrono at about 2950 avg. Groups were in the inch or below range, and pretty consistent. Overall this is one of my favorite loads. I kind of wished it was a 200gr AccuBond or Partition, but the Gameking is alright for about anything I hunt with it.

I verified my wifes load of 45.5gr Varget and a 165gr HDY Interbond. It was crossing the gates at 2700 and is still a 1.25" rifle no matter what load I put through it. It has shot better, but overall, it kind of plunks everything into a 1.25 group. It is plenty good enough for my wife and whoever else uses it. Odd, I guess you can't always have MOA, but I will take it with this rifle. It is light, handles well, and is plenty capable for her.

I think I am going to pull the other IMR7828 and RL22 loads for the 338. The RL19 is very consistent, and produces excellent speed and accuracy. I still have not messed with the BOSS on the 338 and may be able to get it somewhat tighter, but for what I am looking for, I think the 225gr SST's will do a great job. Scotty

Scotty,

RL 19 looks like the winner. Nice shooting.

JD338

You aren't kidding Jim. I should have saved the time and only went with RL19. Now I have to figure out how to pull some 338 bullets! Overall, RL19 has been an outstanding powder for my 338. It is very accurate and FAST for a 338 Win Mag, I think? Scotty

Scotty,

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Those are bragging groups, for sure.

Thanks Mike, I am very pleased with the SST's in the 338. They are very inexpensive so it won't cost an arm and two legs to actually practice with them. The Accubonds shot just as well, just a little less money to bang away with these SST's. Plus, I am thinking they would handle elk/deer just fine. That is alot of bullet. Scotty

Those are all minute of elk out to a decent distance! It would put a hurt on game, for sure.

You aren't kidding. I am kinda anxious to load some more of the RL19 loads up and get it out to 400 yards and see what they do. They seem like a perfect elk load. Plus, they should really cream a deer if given a chance! Scotty

I think the old saying applies "sun light has to shine on a dogs butt somedays!" Scotty

Scotty

A great day at the range, beautiful now you can quit adding and deleting a grain and just enjoy the shooting. Those are very nice. Are you loading against the lands, the picture of the loaded round looks like its touching the lands when you chamber? You wouldn't want to trade that 338 for a slightly used 721 would you??? I sent you a PM, the Idaho regs are out on line!!!
I R headed to bed!

I am loading to a COAL of 3.345. Just a hair more than factory standards. they feed and function well through the rifle, so I am going to stick with them. Not really sure how far I am from the lands to be totally honest. I usually start somewhere between factory COAL and Magazine box length. Somewhere in that measurement I usually find what I am looking for. Scotty

POP":3ixbr9qo said:
Rl 19 is king in the 338 WIN.

Man, you are right on Pop. I shouldn't have wasted my time trying the other two. RL22 was decent, and I sure IMR7828 would have been okay also, but my experience thus far has shown that RL19 is king for bullets 225gr and under. RL22 works really nice with the 275's though! Scotty

The max load I use in my Win in 338 Win

Reloader 19 @ 78.0
225gr AB
WW Brass
Fed 215GM Primers

This is a honest 2900 FPS load which matches the High Energy loads by the factory. This is a MAX load and should be exceeded.....but primers still look good....good bullets for this load Hornady 225gr SP, Speer 225gr Grandslam and of course the 225gr Nosler AccuBond. Winchester Brass has alot of powder space in them so this helps keep pressure down. Very accurate load in my Win 70....I was using 75.1 with everything else the same......and moved up to 78.0 grains of RL 19.

This will be my new hunting load this fall.

I am at 76gr right now and getting 2896AVG for the 225gr SST. This load is fairly compressed in my WW cases, and I happy with the accuracy of the loads. Thanks Alaska, it looks like you have a heckuva good shooter. Scotty

Back