Revisiting the ABLR again.

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I've shot the 129 and 142 ABLR in my 6.5 Creedmore with mixed results. The 142 grouped well but it maxed out near 2800fps. The 129 got up to the 3100fps range but would only group at a little over an inch. This gun is capable of much better when I'm on my game. I had this rifle throated for Amaxs but then thought "Wouldn't it be nice to to have a load that would both punch paper,steel and deer.". I initially ran the 129s pretty close to the lands but when they didn't pan out I switched to BTs and shot some pretty good groups. I've learned a lot about loading the ABLRs in the last few years. I've got the 7mm 175 shooting .5" groups in my 28 Nosler and the .308s were doing pretty well in my 300Rum. I wanted to revisit the Creedmore and 129s because it seems to be a perfect fit.
Today I applied my hard earned knowledge and loaded some up and took them to the range.

I have a few loads to verify! (y) The RL26 loads will probably be the fastest. The RL17 loads the most accurate(at least at 100yds) and the H4350 the slowest but probably with the best SDs and ESs. The chrono will tell me if I'm right..........or wrong. We'll see! I may even shorten them up a tad more to see if they'll suck in the groups some more.

Scott

Your rifle is certainly liking the 129 grain pill, Scott. ReLoder 17 may just be your huckleberry, though both RL26 and H4350 are turning in some very promising groups. I'm going to have to pull out my Creedmoor and load up some of the 129s in my own rifle just to see what it will do with that bullet.

Nice shooting.
How far are you jumping them if you don't mind the question?
Reason I ask is I wasn't having a lot of luck with them.

Dwh7271":wc3ig2kk said:
Nice shooting.
How far are you jumping them if you don't mind the question?
Reason I ask is I wasn't having a lot of luck with them.

My thoughts exactly! Was about to ask the same thing.

Scott, those are showing some serious promise. I just happen to have a couple 129 ABLRs kicking around my shelf. My give them a run in my old Swede.

I haven't had a whole lot of luck with ablr's either.
The cool thing about these groups is sometimes a very long bullet may be still a little unstable at 100......
When you reach out there at many hundreds of yards the groups might be really really impressive!

Nice progress.

So what is it that you have learned about the ABLR to facilitate the improved result?

I too gave up on the ABLR in my 280AI but then went back to working seating depth and ended up with a great load

The ABLRs can be picky. The first thing I do is measure every bullet base to Ogive. In some of the early boxes I found variances up to .012". That's enough to cause issues with a picky bullet. The second thing do is make sure I'm using a VLD seater; it'll give you better consistency. The third is to start load development at .050" off the lands, sometimes they need to be .1" off the lands. when I do these things I can get them to fly.
I believe the will go to"sleep" at longer ranges. I shot a sub 5" group at 740yds the other day with the 7mm 175ABLR.

Scott

Back