Rifle Cleaning Frequency

Mike Fontaine

Beginner
Feb 28, 2006
Hi Guys,
I have two philosophies regarding my rifle cleaning:

Hunting Rifles: After sighting in, I only clean the exterior of the gun and do not clean the barrel until the end of the season. In addition, at the end of the season, I do a complete breakdown of the gun(s) and clean/oil and store in my safe with dehumidifier.

Competition Rifles: During the winter months I am involved in weekly rifle matches at my local club. At the end of each match I thoroughly clean the rifles bores (and exterior) of the rifle(s). I always get off 3 fouling shots the day before the matches. At the end of the "season" I do my thorough breakdown and clean/oil and store the guns away.

Do you guys have similar routines?

MIke

I keep my rifles pretty clean. Prior to a hunt, the clean barrel is fouled with 3 shots to check zero. Only the exterior is wiped down. The bore is cleaned after hunting season is over.

JD338

I clean mine every time after I go to the range. I'll leave the barrel uncleaned the last time I shoot it before going hunting.

JD338":8q7n02oa said:
I kewep my rifles pretty clean. Prior to a hunt, the clean barrel is fouled with 3 shots to check zero. Only the exterior is wiped down. Teh bore is cleaned ofter hunting season is over.

JD338

That mirrors my regiment.

I have to differ on the barrel cleaning. I shoot prior to the season and then clean the barrel. Shooting from a clean barrel may give you a difference of 1-2 inches which is of little consequence. I tried shooting and leaving the barrel uncleaned during the hunting season and found rust at the end of the season. In most Northeastern states you get a combination of rain or snow during the hunting season and if you don't clean you're going to be in for a surprise. I tried running dry patches down the barrel to get the moisture out and also taped the muzzle (which I always do, removing it at the end of the day) and still found issues. just another thought on this issue.

Mike - I follow pretty much the same pattern you mentioned. I hunt with a lightly fouled bore to help keep the point of impact from shifting.

My match rifles get cleaned after each match - considering that's 60+ or 80+ rounds through 'em each time.

But... What's this "end of the season" you mention? :grin: I just shift to coyotes instead of deer once winter rolls around, and we shoot matches all year. Later today some other nut-cases and I will be shoveling snow off the 600 yard line so we can belly down and shoot our match rifles... :grin:

Guy Miner":24pr2j47 said:
But... What's this "end of the season" you mention? :grin: I just shift to coyotes instead of deer once winter rolls around, and we shoot matches all year. :grin:

"End of Season" is for the big game rifles. It also means "Start of Season"
for coyotes and I use my 22-250 and 11-87 Super Mag with Dead Coyote loads. :lol:

JD338

Around here it means time to shoot some ducks.Then its time to call coyotes,then turkeys............actually not really sure there is an "end of season" heh. 8)

SakoSteve270wsm":brfqf0lw said:
Around here it means time to shoot some ducks.Then its time to call coyotes,then turkeys............actually not really sure there is an "end of season" heh. 8)

++1 :grin:

JD338

Exactly! A guy doesn't ever really need to put his guns completely away... There's always something to target! :grin:

Well Guy, I have sooo many guns that I feel like I need to rotate them once in a while :grin:
Mike

I used to be a clean fanatic inside the barrel , but I dont worry too much anymore .. I do a lott a range time , and pretty much know when its time to clean the barrel ..

Back