Rifle for granddaughter

I just ordered a Camilla in 6.5 Creedmore for my wife, my dealer thought it was such a neat rifle he ordered two so he would have one for stock. Weatherby had them in stock so they will be here on Monday.

preacher":mtwiyzcj said:
To your original post...the Weatherby and I also second the 7mm08 with elk in the mix.

this is what she will get for xmas. I told them to stick a Leupold 6 on it and call it good

Thanks to everyone who contributed

April, that will be a very nice Christmas gift for your granddaughter

A second comment or question to everyone, is it struck me when I read this, that the VX6 will cost as much as the rifle.

And it made me wonder, if most of you think about this before you buy a rifle. " the cost of the rifle is going to double after I scope it". Obviously there are variations to that statement, but in general do you have a scope in mind and a plan to purchase said scope at the time you purchase the rifle ? Brooke

I anticipate that I will spend as much, if not more, on optics as I do on the rifle. If I can't see where I'm aiming, I won't hit it. I can make many off the shelf rifles shoot reasonably accurately today. Thus, the optics become critical.

I only own one rifle with a inexpensive scope on it and that thing will just not die but has been repaired once due to being used on a spring air pelt rifle that loosened everything up in it. An old Bushnell Banner 6X I now have on a .22 rim fire and I almost for got the Banner 12X on the 257 Roberts I use for Varmint hunting. Both of these scopes are over 30yrs old and the 6X has been on several different rifles that I no longer own.
With that said I really like my Meopta and Zeiss scopes which cost as much or more than my rifles.
The one Vortex I own is nice but I'm not enamored with it probably because I don't use it much since it is on my M700 35 Whelen and the 35 Whelen/AI M70 gets all the attention with it's Meopta on top. The Zeiss sits on the M70 7RM for now but this caliber has not impressed me as of yet and only bought the rifle because it was inexpensive and had just got rid of the 300bee but still had the magnum bug which has since regressed.

She loved it. Have not fired it yet and it still needs to be scoped but it fit her nicely for those of you thinking of a rifle for a female, this is a nice one. I settled on the 7mm-08

Will probably put a 6 x 36 or 6 x 42 Leupold on it and call it good.

Gerry/Hodgeman anyone who has both the 36 and 42. talk to me about the difference between those two scopes and let's not concern ourself with the fact one is a little more costly than the other, just scope vs scope, for this rifle, I am leaning toward the 42 for a couple of reasons but would like to hear what you fellows have to say

Not Gerry or Hodgeman but I've had both and trust the 6x36 more. I had good luck with both of them but some buddies had 6x42's go wonky for no apparent reason. I don't think you'll miss much with either but a x36 might be a touch more svelte for her rifle.

Europe,

I have had both the 6x36 and the 6x42.

I preferred the 42 mm objective lense as it performed better in low light and has a larger field of view for a fixed power scope and for those potential opportunities where the animal might be at closer ranges. This makes finding the animal in the scope easier, especially if it is moving.

I did not experience any issues with either scope as SJB358's buddies did, so cannot speak to that.

May she enjoy the rifle and the hunting adventures that she will experience with it!

I understand the desire for a high quality fixed power scope. What about a Minox scope?
Keith

Scotty, Gil, thank you. I do think the 36 might look better on that rifle, but like Gil I also think the 42, gives her a touch "more" but not much. Scotty, do you know what happen and did Leupold take care of it ?

Keith, I did not know minox made a fixed power scope, but I am not up to date on many things.
I do think that if it wasn't Leupold it might be Meopta. I have had S & B scopes in the past and they are excellent scopes but like Hodgeman, I dont feel they are twice as good as Leupold and they cost twice as much ( as the 42 and three times as much as the 36 )

Gil thank you. Her mother will make arrangements for her to hunt the three animals that she wants to hunt with it in 2017, Elk, Mountain Lion, Coues Deer. ( I know, strange hunting requests, but she comes from a line of strange people, starting with me )

Europe":poplwl9v said:
She loved it. Have not fired it yet and it still needs to be scoped but it fit her nicely for those of you thinking of a rifle for a female, this is a nice one. I settled on the 7mm-08

Gerry/Hodgeman anyone who has both the 36 and 42. talk to me about the difference between those two scopes and let's not concern ourself with the fact one is a little more costly than the other, just scope vs scope, for this rifle, I am leaning toward the 42 for a couple of reasons but would like to hear what you fellows have to say

nice gift ! the 7mm-08 is an excellent choice . she'll use this the rest of her life .

I have no opinion on either of the scopes , I haven't been around them . but I wanted to coment on the rifle .

Leupold will and did take care of the problem but lately I don't think it helps when they go screwey right before they are getting used on a trip.

Europe":1dh69ii2 said:

Excellent! Those are really nice rifles. I've had both scopes mentioned and both would do just fine. The 6x42 will be a bit brighter for shooting in timber. The 6x36 will be a bit trimmer and weigh a bit less.

For alpine use, where shots in very low light are more unlikely- I'd go 6x36 and save a few ounces. For stand hunting in the woods-I'd go 6x42.

That said- there's not really a wrong choice here. Both should provide good service on that classy new rifle.

FWIW- Weatherby were giving away a VX2 3-9x for the first so many of those rifles sold. Might pay to check and see if that promotional is still going on.

April, that is so cool. Those rifles really do look nice and I believe anyone who owns one will be very happy. Weatherby is not going to screw up a rifle named after the "the" Weatherby lady.

I think the animals she has chosen to hunt with it are great choices. I have not hunted your mountain lion or coues deer, but hear they are both challenging hunts. The one Elk hunt my father took me on turned out to be so easy that I have a hard time understanding the hunters who talk about chasing Elk and how hard it is to hunt them, obviously it was beginners luck and I have never had the opportunity to hunt them again.

To me the 6 x 36 was made for that rifle, looks wise, at least and hey we are women (-;

Best Regards

Jamila

Europe,

Elk, mountain lion and Coues deer sounds like a great list!

I hope that she enjoys her time afield with her new rifle, on those adventures. I'm sure that she will also be thinking of you when she is using or handling her rifle, whether it be at the practice range, out in the field, with her hard won harvested game, or even at home cleaning the rifle or getting it ready for the upcoming hunt.

Back