Rifle for Mulies and Elk

I don't agree with you remmy 25-06, physics don't either. If you compare a 270 shooting a 140 gr projectile to a 7-08 shooting the same 140 gr projectile they are virtually identical. I say aslong as the shooter is comfortable with there rifle and can put a bullet where it needs to go any of them are great rounds for elk and muley. The 260, 270, or 7-08 would be the top picks IMHO for a lady shooter.

The 280 is a dandy round,
What about the 270 short mag, whats recoil like in this beast? My recoil software says it is the same as an '06 loaded with 180's (19 ft-lbs).
I posted this question here because I am in a ponder. I have a 7-08 with 10 cow elk to it's credit.
However a mature bull is half again a larger animal, one I consider the toughest in north America.
I wonder why the 7 short mags have lost favor with the shooting public, seems like the lower end would match the 7-08 and the upper end would best the 280, and all this with good brass (lapua and norma) and a very wide selection of good well constructed bullets. CW

3006, I am a huge 270WSM fan. To me, I consider it the bottom end of a good elk rifle, but certainly not the bottom of the barrel at all. It carries more juice than a 30-06 and shoots quite a bit faster. I have a good load with 150gr PT's over 3100 and man, I can't think of any elk not getting pretty dead from one of them. I took a good bull with the 140gr AB, which is also a good bullet, but I think the PT would be a better bullet for this cartridge.

Recoil is in the same class as the 30-06 I would say. It doesn't feel horrible at all, and I find it very pleasant to shoot from the bench. It is also shooting in the 270 Win speeds with starting loads and darned near on WBY speeds with top end loads. I do think it is plenty for elk and then some, I just want more most of the time, but I am sure it will get its chance for elk sometime in the future! Scotty

The 270wsm is a sweet little round for sure. I have always pretty much bled Remington green, however couldn't pass up a Vanguard Sub moa in this caliber when I believe they priced it wrong.( It's the only Wby in my safe ) It's been fairly easy to reaload for and shoots under an inch all day. This gun is definately lighter than my 7-08 & .260 in Varminter configurations so it's not a fair judgement - but recoil IMO is fairly sharp but not unbareable by any means.

As you already know, bullet selection for the 7mm's is excellent so any choice in that caliber you're covered.

As stated, find one that fits her well ! Then see what choices are available in that make and model.
I know the .243 has taken elk, but for me I draw the line at something like the .257 Roberts
Personlly I would consider the .260 a minimum with a 130-140 grain load. The 7-08 is likely one of most under-rated rounds out there and would be my personal choice for her, loaded with 150gr., but would prefer a 160gr Partition myself. The .308 is good as well with a 180 gr..
Then to the mentioned 7x57 would be good.
All kept within certain range limitations, would suffice. It has been said, it's hard to go wrong with the 30-06 as well,,,might be on the upper limit for some in the recoil department. But then I have seen some smaller framed ladies shoot a .375 H&H quite well too.
But again,,find the fit first, then consider the chambering,,,, go as much as she is comfortable with or can shoot accurately.

My problem is I'm not familiar with the lady's skill level. One of my favorite cartridges is the old 7x57 Mauser which should be a decent cartridge for elk. The 7MM-08 is just the same thing in a shorter package. The one handicap is you will lose powder space with 175 gr. bullets which is not a problem with a 7x57. I'm thinking that a rifle of the same make and configuration as the .243 she is familiar with would be the way to go. Probably in .260 Rem., 7MM-08 of .308 Win. depending on what's available at the local gun store. The addition of a Pachmeyr Decelerator recoil pad would be a wise choice.
I'm not all that familiat with the .260 Rem., my only experience with a 6.5 was with a 6.5x54 Mannlicher many years ago. I shot that one exclusively with 160 gr. bullets and it did quite well on deer. Probably a good 140 gr. Premium would work OK in that cartridge. In the 7MM-08, I'd probably look at a 150 or maybe a 160 gr. bullet, most likely a premium. I'm thinking 160 gr. Grand Slams in my 7x57 BTW should I plan to use it on elk. I also am thinking 150 gr. Nosler partitons for just about anything I might hunt with that 7x57 and that bullet would work very nicely in a 7MM-06. There are lots of options for the .308. One of my favorite loads uses the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core. I don't think you can push a .308 fast enough with that weight bullet to require a premium bullet. One deer I shot facing me had the bullet stop against a back leg bone, breaking the bone. I do think that bullet would have exited had that leg bone not gotten in the way. Velocity from a 22" barrel is only 2610 FPS but from the 18.5" barrel of my Ruger RSI it's only 2550 FPS. More than good enough to take a deer at 250 yards, laser measured.
Paul B.

All great rifles and calibers that will work fine. As far as the rifle I still believe the best choice is to go to the biggest gun dealer around and let her heft a few and pick out what she likes. As far as caliber the biggest, busiest rifle range around. It may take a couple of trips to try a big selection of calibers. Most shooters I've met would be more than happy to let her try their rifles. With your knowledge of calibers you'll steer her to the best ones.
That's what I've done with the folks I've mentored on their first hunting rifle. there's nothing like playing with a bunch of rifles. It works for me. :wink:
Greg

If she can handle a 308 thatd be my first vote with 180 grain bullets at 2550-2600 I have never lost an elk but I have never shot at one with my 308 that was more than 200 yards away either. My father never owned another rifle besides the 308 Savage Model 99 that he carried for nearly 30 years. He now owns a 300 WSM because he started to hunt in more open country.

My second votes are the 270 and 7mm-08; with excellent 150 grain nosler partitions they will kill elk with great proficiency and the recoil is much less than the 30-06 or 300 Magnums.

Whatever you do, it would pay to get her a rifle that is similar in design and handling to her 243, that will help her to create muscle memory when she practices with either. The fit and feel of her elk rifle will determine how well she shoots it and how well she will then be able to kill game animals regardless of the caliber you choose.

My mom shoots a 7mm Mauser with 160 grain bullets for elk and so far its been one shot jobs. Good luck to you and your wife.

Yup, we went to Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Jerry's Outdoor sports the other day, just fondling rifles. A Remington model seven and a savage youth model both fit her pretty good. The stock on the Model 7 was to long but the weight was handy. The savage youth fit pretty good but she wants a "pretty" rifle (read, one with a wood stock).
A wood stocked Remington or Savage in 270 WSM, I think will serve her just fine. Thanks CW

3006":314oiiia said:
Yup, we went to Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Jerry's Outdoor sports the other day, just fondling rifles. A Remington model seven and a savage youth model both fit her pretty good. The stock on the Model 7 was to long but the weight was handy. The savage youth fit pretty good but she wants a "pretty" rifle (read, one with a wood stock).
A wood stocked Remington or Savage in 270 WSM, I think will serve her just fine. Thanks CW

What about an M70 Compact? They come in the 7-08 and 308. They are pretty rifles with nice wood stocks and would be an excellent addition. Granted, I love the 270WSM alot, but the Winchester will get the nod if my daughter shows even an inkling of interest in hunting. I am looking for a good reason to get a 7-08 anyhow!!! Scotty

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=535126

Pretty sweet rifle. I've fondled a couple in 7mm-08. I probably should have bought one of these when I picked up the 260 for my grandchildren.

Mike, you probably need one of those M70 FWT Compacts for a grandchild, don't ya? Just saying! HA! Scotty

That is always a possibility, Scotty. That is always a possibility. I have six grandchildren. So, one rifle each and I have two chambered in cartridges that match smaller frames ... according to my calculations, I need four more. Maybe I'll look at a Winchester Compact today. :grin:

Mike, I concur with your math and support you entirely in your endeavor! Make sure you check out the 7-08 Compacts. Pretty sure that'll work for my daughter in a few years. Scotty

DrMike":yo9y4nlm said:
That is always a possibility, Scotty. That is always a possibility. I have six grandchildren. So, one rifle each and I have two chambered in cartridges that match smaller frames ... according to my calculations, I need four more. Maybe I'll look at a Winchester Compact today. :grin:

Fwiw, last summer my father purchased an M70FWT (not the compact) in 7-08. They can be tough to find, as they aren't a commonly stocked chambering, but he loves his. We hunt deer for the most part, and he's flattened two with a Sierra ProHunter 140gr doing about 2600fps (handloads).

If I look across his groups on his better handloads, over what has to be at least 20 groups (3-shot groups), his average can't go over an inch, or if it does, it's BARELY over an inch, and some shots he called as bad and were indeed out of the groups. For many of those groups, he didn't cool the barrel between, either, and those FWT barrels don't have a lot of material in them to resist heating.

The trigger on that rifle is also one of the very best out of the box triggers I've ever tried.

As for caliber, I'm not an elk hunter, but the 7-08 does seem to have some real potential......if you handload.

Yeah, those FWT's are a weakness for someone around here, but I can't remember his name right now!!!

I am glad your Dad got his rifle straightened around. I have heard relatively few issues with the new Winchester rifles compared to some others. I would like a little 7-08. I already have the 7RM in a M70, so the 7-08 makes sense, right? Scotty

beretzs":3ied9hba said:
Yeah, those FWT's are a weakness for someone around here, but I can't remember his name right now!!!

I am glad your Dad got his rifle straightened around. I have heard relatively few issues with the new Winchester rifles compared to some others. I would like a little 7-08. I already have the 7RM in a M70, so the 7-08 makes sense, right? Scotty

Speaking of you and rifles, how's that 300 Mag quandary of yours coming along? ;)

Hey! I represent that! Fortunately, Winchester is making a quality product again. Everything is once more copesetic in the world of hunting/shooting.

tddeangelo":1odvwz92 said:
beretzs":1odvwz92 said:

Speaking of you and rifles, how's that 300 Mag quandary of yours coming along? ;)

Ah, I don't know. I have quite alot of history with the Ruger M77 300WM. It shoots really well, but it is a little heavy. Might get another stock for it. Well, the Weatherby, I have nothing really invested in it, so if it doesn't shoot, I will send it down the road and reinvest the money into a new M70. I change my mind about as often as you Tom. Plus, the 300WM is a great cartridge to have around. I already have a ton of dies, cases, bullets and other stuff for it, so I am not in a huge hurry to change up right now. Scotty

Back