Rifle going off

Bose

Beginner
Apr 15, 2007
Just got off the phone with a friend of mine that's hunting in ok. He said that after his hunt he unbolted his gun and it fired. He asked me what could be the problem. any ideas? I've seen rifles fire when a round was bolted but never when a live roun was ejected. any help is appreciated. thanks Bose.

Trigger adjusted incorrectly, dirty trigger or finger on the trigger which most will deny.Rick.

rick smith":319lhsxl said:
Trigger adjusted incorrectly, dirty trigger or finger on the trigger which most will deny.Rick.

Rick nailed it.

JD338

I have had both happen once! Learned its better to buy a lighter aftermarket trigger than to over lighten a factory one, and had my finger on the trigger once. Both are on my mind every time I open or close a bolt now. Thank God nobody was hurt :oops:

Regardless of how well one thinks he knows his rifle, this is a good lesson in basic safety--practise muzzle control. The fact that your friend was opening the bolt points conclusively to the trigger. Rick is correct that the most probably cause was a finger on the trigger.

I would have to agree, one of the guys in our hunting group had it happen a couple of years ago. He has since quit hunting and his close friends call him 9 toes.
I had my trigger pull changed a couple of months ago and I went out to the range and shot at least 50 rounds to get used to the difference.
The factory on my CDL was right around 6lbs and now it is just over 3lbs.

Blessings,
Dan

I agree with the improperly adjusted trigger crowd. It kind of reminds me of the gun firing when the safety is disengaged.
I don't know how a guy could lift the bolt with a finger in the trigger. It seems like you would have to intentionally put your finger in the trigger guard. Kind of like letting the bolt down while pulling the trigger. I never do that with a round in the chamber. Only when I store the gun.

Old #7, for a right hand shooter, holds the rifle at the pistol grip in the left hand, opens bolt with the right hand. Only the trigger finger of the left hand is in the trigger guard. Reverse for a left handed person. It happens.Rick.

rick smith":znkrlz95 said:
Old #7, for a right hand shooter, holds the rifle at the pistol grip in the left hand, opens bolt with the right hand. Only the trigger finger of the left hand is in the trigger guard. Reverse for a left handed person. It happens.Rick.

I bet it does.

I guess I handle a rifle a bit different.
I am right handed and hold the stock with my left hand around the bottom metal with my fingers by the bolt. The butt of the rifle is between my right elbow and my ribs. As I open the bolt with my right hand I can catch the round in my left fingers.
I am kind of tall and can palm a basketball.

I agree with most of you all. my first thought was finger on his trigger. I'll check the trigger when he gets back to Ms. Thanks for the replys. ps he denies the finger on the trigger I asked.

Lots of reason for a rifle to go off besides having finger on the trigger.

Actually, the article mentions one reason. It is certainly a possibility that the safety can "cause" an unintentional discharge under the conditions mentioned, but again, this is an issue with the trigger that should be checked by a competent gunsmith. It is certainly a good lesson in muzzle control.

I have twice been present when a gun discharged "accidentally." Once was with a firearms instructor who was carrying a loaded and cocked Model 94 with his finger on the trigger. :shock: That got my attention, and the more so as the bullet impacted a few feet from my right leg. :shock: The other time was when a hunting partner was chambering a round. Later inspection revealed rust in his chamber which appears to have caused what was effectively a slam-fire. Bose describes a situation in which the rifle fired as the bolt was lifted, which would fit the situation described in 30-338s post, provided the rifle was a pre-75 Remington.

30-338

I actually remember when all that was going on.....

With all the above said, I have a .17 Rem 700 that potentially had that issue......
My Mother had it pointed down attempting to take the shell out and obviously wouldn't come out due to being on safety. As soon as she pushed the safety forward BAM.......
A couple years later I had the same thing happen........

It has since recieved a new trigger assembly.

KEEP THOSE BARRELS POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION !!

I generally will never use a safety on a gun due to never having a round in the chamber until I'm at that point of pulling the trigger.

I had this happen, not the gun going off but it would not cock. I adjusted the trigger on a Rem. 700 down to 2 pounds during the summer when it was hot. When I went hunting in the winter when it was below freezing and the gun had set in the cold truck all night the next morning it would not cock. When I took the rifle into the my friends house and it warmed up it would cock again. When the metal got cold it shrank enough to cause the problem. I had to put 1/2 pound more on the trigger pull to correct the problem.

Back