Rifle Prices.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Hard to follow right now. In general they are high across the board, but some seem crazy high comparably to a yr or so ago.

In July of 2020 I picked up a later model 760 in 35 Remington at a shop for $575. I just looked at the receipt recently when I was digging around for some other things.

Couple weeks ago in the beginning of December I was in the exact same shop and they had the same rifle there made in the same yr as the one I bought. Had a spare magazine but other than that same shape. I said to my wife remember that rifle I bought when you were along last yr? Look at this price tag. $1699. o_O Bet when I stop in there next time it's not there. Crazy.

Was in a different shop last week and there were 2 USED Rem 7600's chambered in 30-06 and 270. If I remember right one was like $1250 and the other $1325. There was a 760 in 30-06 and that was somewhere over $1000. Heck 2 yrs ago you could still buy a 760 in a standard chambering for under $400 around here.

I am really struggling how a marlin 30-30 that used to cost $350 tops when I last looked for 1 is now $900 plus. Um nope not happening.

Yeah, prices are crazy high right now across the board.

I struggle to see how people are getting four figures for 7600s...those were just never all that popular. And a GRAND for a 336 is lunacy... there must be millions of them out there floating around.

Yeah, prices are crazy high right now across the board.

I struggle to see how people are getting four figures for 7600s...those were just never all that popular. And a GRAND for a 336 is lunacy... there must be millions of them out there floating around.
I know, but they do. Jump on GB and look. 7600's right now be it in a common chambering or not, are routinely going for $1150 or so, and go on up from there.

On 12-24 a standard 7600 in 30-06 sold for $1200. On 12-23-2021 a new in box Rem 7600 in 30-06 sold for $1600. Absolutely insane in my view, but they' bring those high prices every day right now.

On the other side of the coin that same shop I referenced above that had the two used 7600's priced over $1200, had a Savage 99C in 308 that looked brand new.......super nice condition. Had a Leupold VX1 3-9 scope on it. I asked them what the price on it was expecting well over 1K. $969. Any rifle over $700 starts getting into money for me, but all things considering, that's not a high price for what those bring even looking at what they were bringing a year ago.

Oh, yeah, look at what the Model 94 Big Bore rifles are going for today. I could buy them just a couple of years ago here in Canada for $450. I saw the prices in the US at that time were already over $1000. Sure enough, the surge in prices has reached Canada. They are no longer given away, that's for sure.

Oh, yeah, look at what the Model 94 Big Bore rifles are going for today. I could buy them just a couple of years ago here in Canada for $450. I saw the prices in the US at that time were already over $1000. Sure enough, the surge in prices has reached Canada. They are no longer given away, that's for sure.
Have the primer prices and lack of availability transferred up there as well?? Still extremely tight here. Most sources are just not available period, or else you will pay through the nose for them.

I picked up another brick again last week at a good price, but I'm done now unless I'd happen to run across more bricks for under $60. In the last yr I added 7K primers to what I had........I think I can relax for a while and see what shakes out in the future.

My buddy came across a 760 Gamemaster in 308 Win last spring that was in pretty nice condition. I was going to buy it but he had a buyer interested. He said he sell it to me for $600 but I told him to sell it to the other guy which he did for $900!

Yeah, the crazy prices are going to continue so long as people keep paying those crazy prices.

JD338

Have the primer prices and lack of availability transferred up there as well?? Still extremely tight here. Most sources are just not available period, or else you will pay through the nose for them.

I picked up another brick again last week at a good price, but I'm done now unless I'd happen to run across more bricks for under $60. In the last yr I added 7K primers to what I had........I think I can relax for a while and see what shakes out in the future.
Yes, primer and propellant prices are up in the stratosphere ... when you can find them. Bullet prices are likewise elevated. It is not dissimilar to what you are facing on that side of the border.

My ex-son in law fell into a deal on a 7600 in 270 win for 400.00 just before our deer season of all times. It had a set of see thru rings, Bushnell 3x9 Sport view scope and a 742 magazine in it. Actually, pretty good looking. I found him 2 proper new magazines. Hopefully he will keep this gun and not sell it like the last one. Dan.

My ex-son in law fell into a deal on a 7600 in 270 win for 400.00 just before our deer season of all times. It had a set of see thru rings, Bushnell 3x9 Sport view scope and a 742 magazine in it. Actually, pretty good looking. I found him 2 proper new magazines. Hopefully he will keep this gun and not sell it like the last one. Dan.
That was a good buy! Not a bad price at all even 2 yrs ago. You could buy them for that and just under sometimes but not just anytime you ran across them, you had to wait.

I’ve been really lucky in the sense I’m a powersports service tech. If it weren’t for my ability to trade being able to fix people’s toys I would probably be priced out of most any of the rifles, shotguns or even my bow. I guess at least the barter system is still kicking a bit.

I have a few of the 7600's and a 760. I scored a 760 in 270 Winchester a few years back for 300 bucks. It is in good condition, seen some use but very serviceable. I also have a 35 Whelen I got from Fotis for around 700 a few years back and a 50th anniversary 280 Rem I gave 700 for as well a couple years back. I'd bet I could double my money on them pretty easily, if I wanted to sell them.

Have you all seen the price on a box of Partitions lately. I am seeing upwards of 70 bucks for 50. Love me some Nosler, but darn if that isn't getting a bit outta hand. While I am not divesting myself of their bullets their price jump doesn't seem inline with other makers in my opinion.

I have a few of the 7600's and a 760. I scored a 760 in 270 Winchester a few years back for 300 bucks. It is in good condition, seen some use but very serviceable. I also have a 35 Whelen I got from Fotis for around 700 a few years back and a 50th anniversary 280 Rem I gave 700 for as well a couple years back. I'd bet I could double my money on them pretty easily, if I wanted to sell them.

Have you all seen the price on a box of Partitions lately. I am seeing upwards of 70 bucks for 50. Love me some Nosler, but darn if that isn't getting a bit outta hand. While I am not divesting myself of their bullets their price jump doesn't seem inline with other makers in my opinion.
Scotty I'm with you on the price of PT. Seems way out of line. Have and do use them from time to time but others work just fine for the whitetails I'm shooting. Dan.

Scotty and Dan, agreed that bullets have taken a big jump across the board, although seems to me Sierra and Nosler were the big price jumps just taking in all the prices when I'm out and about, but I could be wrong on that.

Speer's are still the cheapest game in town, but they've also gone up 35% or so depending where you look. The only bullets I've bought that I can think of in the last yr were .257 in both Nosler and Speer since I didn't have a decent selection of .257. Everything else I have plenty and no need to buy at these prices.........I would take some more .358 if I could find them decently priced.

Was in a pawn shop yesterday that has several different guns and saw a Rem 760 with some sort of scope for $750.00 There was the usual number of nicks from use and the bluing was worn quite a bit on the bottom of the receiver. Dan.

Prices do not seem to be consistent either.
Older Remington 700's going for hundreds more than they used to, or should be (IMHO), and yet seeing Sako's going for similar prices as in years past. And I question why people are paying these prices, as they do not seem to be justified.

Makes a person think that the better buys are now in the higher end rifles that haven't seen the same significant increases in price. For me, I would rather buy a Sako for the same price as a Remington or Winchester, or Browning (as much as I also like the versions of these latter makes, except where it may be a specific LH rifle I am looking for).
The lever actions seem to have jumped significantly, most notably in Winchester and Marlin.

I have to say the one that really has gone above and beyond has been the Winchester "pre-64" designation that used to be only in reference to Model 70's, which has been added to all other Models today, including those that have not been produced since 1964. That one just doesn't make sense to me.

Prices do not seem to be consistent either.
Older Remington 700's going for hundreds more than they used to, or should be (IMHO)
Agreed. Have a relative that inherited a good number of rifles. I was going over them with him a while back and one of them is an older nice condition M700 in 25-06. I mentioned to him that I'd be interested in that rifle if he ever wanted to sell it as I don't have a 25-06. He now is ready to get rid of a couple of them including that 700. Said he will figure out what they're worth and deduct for family.

An offer he wouldn't have to do, so I'm not discounting the offer. But at current prices I'm not interested even at a 25% discount. They are way overpriced right now in my opinion. I don't need either a 25-06 or a Remington that badly. I'll have to wait to see what the starting price is he comes up with.

As you also mentioned some rifles are still competitively priced even looking at older prices. There's a shop that has a new Howa 1500 in 7mm-08. Blued steel, Hogue stock, pillar bedded, metal bottom plate with hinged floorplate, etc, etc. Quality built modern rifle in my opinion. Under $500. That's a lot of gun for that money at todays prices. Heck a Savage Axis is now in the same price range.

Back