Rifle Primers

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
This has probably been discussed before but my searches haven't turned anything up.
Are magnum primers needed for heavy loads?
Just how much does rifle primers affect the accuracy?
Magnum primers verses standard either match grade or standard?
Federal is the only one who makes magnum match primers.
I have some old Winchester white box that I use solely for my 35W/AI that are marked for use in standard or magnum loads that produce the most accurate loads for this caliber in my rifle.
Do the match primers produce better ES & SD across the board for both magnum and standard loads or doesn't it really matter?
Yes a lot of questions and I have always followed the manuals when they say magnum primers used for a given load.
Just want to know if they are required and do they create better ammo?

simple answer. I load for hunting using hunting bullets only. I load hot loads for hunting. I use mag primers for all loads. I do get better accuracy with them. I have a couple of loads that when you use regular primers I get a large group. Use mag primers and tiny groups. Ball powders recommend mag primers. Some loads it does not seem to make a big difference. My Weatherby cartridge loads get Fed 215 or 215M primes. My 25-06 also likes them. I often use the 215 primers in my other mag cartridges(264win mag/7mm Rem mag/300win mag/338win mag). My best load for the 338win mag using 225gr Swift A-Frames and 71grs of IMR4350 does better with the Fed 215 and it is listed as the one to use in the Swift manual.

This is just my take on it.

I'm working on a rifle right now that seems to prefer standard match primers over magnum primers. Likes the BR2s, does not like 9 1/2Ms...its a 7mm-08 so magnum is not even needed.

I use magnum primers for the magnums, standard for all others. Accuracy is dependent on a number of things. I have some very good examples of excellent accuracy with both types of primers.

Thanks for the responses
I'm still trying to determine if the federal 215 match primers are any better then the standard magnum primers since Federal is the only one who makes match magnum primers.

I've used both the 215M, Winchester, and Remington Magnum Rifle Primers in my .338RUM and yes, I do get better accuracy with the Federal brand. As of late I've tried all three magnum primers in my .300WSM and I'm not seeing any difference. I don't know whether it has to do with case size, amount of powder or some other component. I don't know whether the minor factor of colder weather (I shot the .338 in the early fall, Temps 70's or in Jan for the .300WSM, Temps 50's). You brought up a very good question.

My limited observations have not given me any real rules. Normally I use magnum primers in magnums but one of my accuracy loads with 308 Winchester uses CCI 250. It just seems a bit more accurate than the standard primer load.

truck driver":a2xid45m said:
Thanks for the responses
I'm still trying to determine if the federal 215 match primers are any better then the standard magnum primers since Federal is the only one who makes match magnum primers.

I have used 215m and 215 primers with all else being equal and never could see any discernable difference with POI or group size.

OU812":2nbp8yi5 said:
truck driver":2nbp8yi5 said:
Thanks for the responses

I have used 215m and 215 primers with all else being equal and never could see any discernable difference with POI or group size.
Thanks I haven't seen anything in the 210s verses the 210m either .

Some of my rifles shoots a little tighter with 210M or the BR2 primers, one brand of primers will outshoot the other. I always used magnum primers strictly for magnum rifles. If trying a magnum primer in a standard caliber, drop your charges a tad since the magnum primer is like a extra .3 to .5 grain charge over the standard primer.

I'm with Dewey on the mid 50's gr powder charge , from there up I use a mag primer . use mag primers for compressed loads , hard to light powders "ball powders ", cold outside temps . you can test std vs. mag primer to help with ES on your chrony . I have no way to back this up , I've read that using a mag primer when not needed can actually cause the bullet to move before the powder pressures up this would cause accuracy problems by varying your seating depth . I've read the difference between fed 215 and 215m is the match primers are made by more experienced workers at the factory .Federal feels the more experienced worker will make more consistent primers . I've used both and I've never been able to tell a difference between the two . they so much act the same for me , if I run out of one I'll finish loading with the other and not even mark them. Dewey mentioned the cci BR2 primer . I think this is it's own primer . I don't think it would be considered a cci200 match .

this past winter during a cold snap I put all my shooting gear in the truck , left it out overnight . I was going to do some chrony work in below zero temps . first day out , I had a misfire , a hang fire , and the labradar gave up in about 30 minutes . I learned a few things though .

My personal practise has been to use standard primers up to sixty grains or powder and magnum primers after that. The exceptions would be hunting in extremely cold temperatures or when igniting ball powders. One other exception is that on the shorter powder columns in short magnums, standard primers are sufficient for complete ignition. I use standard primers almost exclusively in the WSMs.

Back