Rifles for Elk

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here is a question to get things going a little. I "think" I am heading out to Oregon to hunt elk with Bill (Elkman). I am taking the 1895G 45-70 as one rifle, but my back up, well, I am thinking the 338WM with 250's or the 35 Whelen with 250's. I have a 270WSM, 264WM, 300WM, 300WBY, and probably a couple of others. They all shoot about the same to me. Which would you carry. They are all sporters also, so weight and config are about the same. They also all have Leupolds on them, so in essence, they are the same.

Just wondering what you all think? This is just a fun post, for grins. I won't be shooting much past 400 or so, and the elk tag will be a spike elk only. Scotty

Any will work, but I'd still opt for something that gives the elk a smart smack. The 300 WM is certainly classic for elk. I'd be inclined to carry either it or the 300 Wby. There is plenty of reach with the 35 Whelen, but should you be presented with that shot that needs legs, you will wish you had one of the 300s. The 270 WSM will certainly work, especially since you load it with 150 grain pills. The 264 will work, especially if loaded with 140 grain PTs or ABs, However, I still like the fast 300s. This advice is worth precisely what you paid for it.

Scotty,

Your battery consist of several calibers that are well suited for elk hunting. It really will depend on the terrain you will be hunting.
The 1895 45-70 loaded up with the 300 gr PP is up to the task in the black timber but capable out to 300 yds with the scope you have. I would lean towards the 338 WM with the new rail mounting system and the forth coming new stock. An elk hunt would be a great way to start out with the "new" 338 WM.

The 264 WM loaded with a 140 gr AB or PT would also fair well on a spike bull. :wink:

JD338

DrMike":23dipof8 said:
Any will work, but I'd still opt for something that gives the elk a smart smack. The 300 WM is certainly classic for elk. I'd be inclined to carry either it or the 300 Wby. There is plenty of reach with the 35 Whelen, but should you be presented with that shot that needs legs, you will wish you had one of the 300s. The 270 WSM will certainly work, especially since you load it with 150 grain pills. The 264 will work, especially if loaded with 140 grain PTs or ABs, However, I still like the fast 300s. This advice is worth precisely what you paid for it.

Mike, I value your advice and Jim's and all the darn rest or you the same! It is priceless. Your right about the 300's! They are almost 30-06 like to me though in some respects. I know they will do it, all the time, everytime. Good point about having some legs though, well taken.

Jim, your idea behind the 338 carries a ton of weight (and at 500 yards)!!! It is really the heavy lifter of my crew. Scotty

Your 338 or 300 would be my top picks. Take an elk caliber for elk...

Your others will work, but I'd rather have the above 2 just in case you jumped one in the timber 50 yards, and they still get the job done out there aways as well.

Our elk camp used to be filled with 300 Win Mags and 7mm RMs, now theres a few more 300 RUMs in there, but I've seen A LOT of elk killed with the 7mm and 300 from close up timber shots to cross canyon shots, theres really nothing better then your standard 7mm, 300, or 338 Magnum for elk IMO.

Scotty -
You know any of the magnums will work for your intended target. I think you should go with the "new" .338 8) . Put a Montana Sling on it and you will be set. Bring that big brush buster with you for the side-hilling in the timber and you will have all avenues covered.

If that 338 is new Scotty and you have not hunted with it, I would take that in a heart beat! You need to break it in right and what better way? :shock: Either that or your 264 just because it is so darn neat and goreous looking. Okay, I've made a decision............. Take the 45-70 for sure for the timber and take both the 338 WM and 264 WM! That way neither will be jealous of the other! :lol: Seriously, what's wrong with taking TWO more! You could carry one a couple days and then trade off. Like you said mister, they all have Leupolds and all are sporters, and they all shoot similarly............. Just do it! Glad I could help.
David :mrgreen:

Scotty, your going to love Oregon! I believe that it has the third largest elk population in the U.S.(at least until we start getting more wolfs).

Depending on where you are hunting, but I don't think I would take the 45-70. The 300 WM, or 300 Bee would be fine choices. I'm a huge fan of the 338 WM for elk. Most of the places that I have hunted elk in Oregon shots can range from 50 yards to as far as you want to shoot.

You going for spikes or branch bulls?

My rule is .30 caliber or larger on bull elk and whatever I feel like on cow elk. I am more interested in the rifle weight and the scope mounted than the caliber.

start with 30's and go up. hands down, if your in a general season hunt with an over the counter spike tag you want knock down power. my seasons are like that every year. i have seen elk stolen from other hunters due to the spike only challenge. knock em down and out period.

Scotty,
I would favor the 300 mag. but will add any of the guns you listed will kill Elk. Match the gun that covers any situation out to 400 yds but that you also shoot the best and you are good to go.

If it were me, Whelen for Black Timber, 300 mag for the rest. :mrgreen:

Don

That is a very valid point. Hunting elk is hard enough, a guy shouldn't have to fight over one that ran 100 yards only to get three more holes poked in it by somebody else.

Haha, thats why I said bring an elk rifle...

If your hunting public land for spikes, the last thing you want is some ding dong portland hunter claiming your elk because it decided to go over the ridge before it died, and they put the last bullet in it before it went down, so it has to be theres right...yah ok. I"ll go shoot another one, you can have it :)

Seriously any of em will work, but like I said, If you happen to be packing the sporter rifles and bust one up at 50 yards, i'll take the 30 or 33 cal holes vs the 26 and 27 holes anyday. Your not gonna be getting no perfect shot...

If there out there aways, its still nice to have the 30 or 33s because it will put them DRT with a shoulder shot, so you minimize the chance of someone stealing your elk.

Good points fellers. Makes complete sense to me! That really goes along with my thinking anyhow, I have taken elk with the 270WSM, 300WM and 35 Whelen and by far and away, the Whelen had the most notable impact on them! I am thinking it will be the 338WM or the Whelen going along with me. Either one with 250's. They both shoot fine to 400. Keep em coming. It is great to see peoples ideas, and I never have worried about someone taking my elk, but then again, I have hunted mostly in Idaho's Wilderness areas and you don't even see another person most of the time.

Oh, the 338WM isn't new. I bought it in 1995. I killed a couple of deer and woodchucks with it. My old man used it for his Brown Bear, a few elk, a gigantic 6x6 Saskatchewan WT and some other stuff. It is a well blooded rifle, just has not been carried by me for elk, yet! I was kinda wondering how long he was going to use it, but a few years back, he called and said he thought he was done hunting BIG stuff, so I could retake ownership of it. Scotty

I myself have never had the opportunity to hunt elk because they don't live in my neck of the woods. But, one old time elk hunter(very wealthy fellow that has gone west to hunt for many years) that I know has always told me that if I ever got a chance to go elk hunting get me a 338 Winchester mag. He said they just hammer elk. From the size of the heads he has mounted and all the pictures I have seen he has I guess he knows what he is talking about.

It really gets down to what you feel the most comfortable with and shoot the best in any situation then. Type of terrain your covering, weight of rifle you will carry all day long etc.

If faced with a challenging shot which gun do you want in your hands?

Don

1Shot":1m5wlqof said:
I myself have never had the opportunity to hunt elk because they don't live in my neck of the woods.

You need to poke around 1Shot a bit. Pennsylvania has a huntable population of elk as does Kentucky. That's not too far from home and from what I've read and seen they are taking some really large bulls! That of course is all thanks to sportsmen and groups like the RMEF, and NOT anti-hunting groups. I know preaching to the choir!

David

6mm Remington":ksr2bhpq said:
1Shot":ksr2bhpq said:
I myself have never had the opportunity to hunt elk because they don't live in my neck of the woods.

You need to poke around 1Shot a bit. Pennsylvania has a huntable population of elk as does Kentucky. That's not too far from home and from what I've read and seen they are taking some really large bulls! That of course is all thanks to sportsmen and groups like the RMEF, and NOT anti-hunting groups. I know preaching to the choir!

David

PA has a nice big elk herd. I was hunting in PA a few years ago, sitting on a deer drive and had a close encounter with a big 6 pt bull. It was an awesome experience. Check out St Mary's Elk County PA for elk hunting opportunities.

JD338

Any will work. As for me 300 with 200 gr PT or AB

Back