Righty shooting a Lefty

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
Anyone right-handed that shoots a left-handed rifle? If so, is it difficult to work the bolt for quick follow-up shots and so on?

Richracer1":11sd8s0n said:
Anyone right-handed that shoots a left-handed rifle? If so, is it difficult to work the bolt for quick follow-up shots and so on?
You trying to get us in trouble? :grin: I am left eye dominate and learned to shoot left handed (but I am right handed) I am in my eary 50's and it wasn't until just a couple of years ago I was able get left hand guns that I like.....It takes a little getting used to but now, I am happy to report that I can make the gun go boom equally as fast..... :)

mbmm":1ice6iwy said:
Richracer1":1ice6iwy said:
You trying to get us in trouble? :grin: I am left eye dominate and learned to shoot left handed (but I am right handed) I am in my eary 50's and it wasn't until just a couple of years ago I was able get left hand guns that I like.....It takes a little getting used to but now, I am happy to report that I can make the gun go boom equally as fast..... :)

No trouble at all. I am pursuing a 338RUM and have found some cheap on gunbroker, probably due to being lefty rifles. I'm a righty, shoot righty, and was just curious how odd it may be to shoot a lefty rifle.

I am also left eyed dominant and right handed, however, I always shot automatics until I got a left handed bolt. I now have a right handed 22 and it works, but I would much rather shoot a left hand bolt for quick follow up's.

Richracer1":1o2r4sj2 said:
My question is: If your right handed and right eye dominate 1: have you ever shot left handed? How did that got as far as accuracy and comfort in the sight/scope alignment. If you don't have a problem with that then you can learn to cycle the bolt quickly.

I have never shot anything left handed, nor do I plan to. My initial ? was shooting a lefty designed rifle on the right. I'm not asking about eye dominance either. It's all about using a lefty designed rifle on the right side and operating the bolt.

Shooting offhand and working the bolt would be a pain I think.You would have to hold the rifle with you right hand on the pistol grip and work the bolt with you left hand.Would take A LOT of practice for me,you might not find it a problem however.With some kinda rest it wouldn't be a problem.Not sure how close your left hand on the bolt would come to your face when working the bolt also.Funny now that I think about it I have never even shouldered a left hand bolt action.

I have a friend who is a lefty, and he shoots several righty bolt guns. He didn't even own a lefty until a few years ago, and told me it took a long time to get used to working the bolt 'correctly' instead of his old habit. He works the bolt with his trigger hand, by shooting, then dropping the butt down, and rotating his right hand wrist (forearm hand) counterclockwise to get the bolt handle facing up (really, the whole rifle turned from 12 O'Clock to 9 O'Clock) and then operates the bolt with his left hand (trigger hand). It would work the same for a righty with a lefty gun, except that you'd rotate that left wrist clockwise to turn the action so the bolt handle was straight up. Mark says he is pretty darn quick with the whole operation. Quick enough that he took his righty .243Win to Africa for a plains game hunt last summer...

My grandfather is a lefty and I found shooting his left handed bolts fun. However, practice working a left handed bolt 22 LR or 243 Win is a lot easier then a 338RUM. I would suggest getting a cheap 22 that is left handed and see how you like it, or just go to a gun shop and test one out.

Ok, I got the jest of it....your a right hand guy and want to buy a left hand gun. Go for it.....it will just take a little practice to get use to cycling the bolt........Sorry for the confusion.......

mbmm":2i6nke4y said:
Ok, I got the jest of it....your a right hand guy and want to buy a left hand gun. Go for it.....it will just take a little practice to get use to cycling the bolt........Sorry for the confusion.......

I'm not really wanting a lefty rifle. The only (affordable) 338RUM currently made is the XCR. I have found 338RUM LSS rifles on G-Broker for a few hundred less than a new XCR. I think the LSS looks better, but I'm very skeptical about buying a lefty rifle. Oh well, just keep wishing.

Thanks guys for all of the comments.

Back